Car insurance - when/if to inform of medical occurrence

Options
alicef
alicef Posts: 349 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Hello 

would appreciate info on the following..

My OH experienced a 'small stroke' recently.  He is recovering very well but obviously won't be driving for at least a month.

My questions are

1) when does he need to inform his car insurance of the fact he has had a small stroke - I'm thinking best to wait til he has had all clear from Occ. Health?

2) he is named driver on my car insurance do I need to inform my insurance co.?

Thank you.
Fashion on the Ration 2024  21/66   

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to read the policy docs.
  • alicef
    Options
    thank you @Car_54 - so if our car insurance docs don't mention specifics we don't need to inform?  Or is there overiding requirement to inform, irrespective of what docs state?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,263 Forumite
    Options
    alicef said:
    thank you @Car_54 - so if our car insurance docs don't mention specifics we don't need to inform?  Or is there overiding requirement to inform, irrespective of what docs state?
    If you read the docs as suggested, you won't need to ask hypothetical questions.
  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You would only need to inform them if the doctor advises against or writes to the DVLA and/or he wants to start to drive again but then you would want the doctors ok.  Do nothing until then.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,283 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Direct quote from https://www.stroke.org.uk/stroke/life-after/driving

Who should I tell about my stroke or TIA?

You must tell your motor insurance company if you have had a stroke or TIA.

Some car and motorbike drivers will also need to tell the DVLA (or DVA in Northern Ireland), depending on whether your ability to drive is affected or you have certain medical conditions. See the table below for more detailed information. You can inform the DVLA online.

I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/stroke-and-driving

Does your insurance mention advising them if you are told not to drive?
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,228 Forumite
    Options
    alicef said:
    You don't have to second guess what your insurance company might or might not want to know about - you only have to inform them of things that they ask about.

Most insurance policies that I've read only require you to inform them of medical conditions if you also have to inform the DVLA* - which by the looks of it means if he still has symptoms after a month. Obviously read your own documents carefully but if that's all it says, then that's all you have to do.

*Some people seem to be very surprised by this, but it's not surprising really. A nasty dose of flu or a sprained ankle can certainly affect your ability to drive safely - but it would be daft if you had to call your insurer every time you felt woozy with a cold or twisted your ankle. They're only interested in conditions which affect your ability to drive in the medium/long term.
  • alicef
    Options
    @Car_54 , sadly not a hypothetical question.  

Thank you all for your responses, it's very useful to have input - we shall see how Occ Health goes; take it from there for now. Obviously we don't want to negate our insurance.
  • alicef
    Options
    @sheramber I can't find anything in my docs, (though haven't scoured the policy booklet yet) - it just mentions informing of change in circumstances.  @Misslayed Thank you I've had a read of the stroke.org page.  Their statement is unequivocal. 
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    alicef said:
    @Car_54 , sadly not a hypothetical question.  
    Hypothetical as in we still don't know what your policy actually says about it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback