We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Considering moving from Barclays to Starling for current account

Options

Comments

• TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 5 May at 5:37PM
    Options
    CrickJon said:
    I’m happy to move to online. I can’t remember the last time I went into a branch of Barclays. I just think the app for Starling has a lot more to offer than Barclays. Maybe it’s time I ditched them for a more modern bank.
    If you only have the one bank account, you should heed the advice above from @surreysaver
    Yes good point to open new ones and leave existing accounts until you're comfortable using tnew accounts then let barclays close naturally if unused.  I ended in barclays because of the Woolwich takeover now I just have shares and an account that pays interest rest couple of times a year.
    Apart from that I would never use them again. 
  • danny13579
    danny13579 Posts: 463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I love Starling, it's the only bank I would never switch from. Their app is really nice to use, their savings spaces are really useful as is the facility to have an extra account in euro. Their exchange rate is great too with a 0.4% fee. Their interest rate of 3.25% AER seems pretty good for a current account.

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 May at 6:23PM
    Options
    I use Starling as my 'pocket money' account but wouldn't want to ditch Nationwide totally.  I've got no DDs or SOs with Starling, so don't know how well they work.  VERY useful for small transactions abroad.  Can you pay cheques in to Starling?  I'm happy knowing I still have a High Street Bank/Building Society on hand.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use starling as my bills account and whenever I travel. No complaints at all but still have another account with Lloyds. 
  • danco
    danco Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    I don't use Starling myself, but note that Which recommends it highly
  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    JGB1955 said:
    Can you pay cheques in to Starling?
    I believe that you can pay cheques in using the app to photograph them or at a post office.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CrickJon said:
    CrickJon said:
    I’m happy to move to online. I can’t remember the last time I went into a branch of Barclays. I just think the app for Starling has a lot more to offer than Barclays. Maybe it’s time I ditched them for a more modern bank.
    If you only have the one bank account, you should heed the advice above from @surreysaver
    The thing is, I want to use a Switch so all direct debits etc go with it. Doesn’t that automatically mean it will close it?

That said, I do have other accounts with Barclays, including a Rainy Day saver which I assume they will want me to close if I’ve moved my current account away from them?

I have other accounts at Chase, NatWest, Santander, HSBC…
    You don't have to close the original account if using the Switch Service, but its optional. Some switch incentives require you to close the original account, but not sure if Starling is offering an incentive?
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • danny13579
    danny13579 Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    Some switch incentives require you to close the original account, but not sure if Starling is offering an incentive?
    Starling don't do switch incentives, but if you know someone with a Starling account you can get them to send you their referral link to get a free National Trust day pass.
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    I switched one of my current accounts to the Barclays Premier account last year for their switch bonus and I think they are abysmal. The app is rubbish and customer service terrible. I switched away as soon as I could. They are probably the worst bank I have ever used.

I've also had a Starling account for several years, mainly for using abroad. In contrast to Barclays, I would recommend Starling. The app is really slick and easy to use. Nothing has ever gone wrong where I've needed to contact customer service. Starling, First Direct, and Chase are the three bank accounts I would strongly recommend to anyone.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Options
    CrickJon said:
    CrickJon said:
    The thing is, I want to use a Switch so all direct debits etc go with it. Doesn’t that automatically mean it will close it?

That said, I do have other accounts with Barclays, including a Rainy Day saver which I assume they will want me to close if I’ve moved my current account away from them?

You need Blue Rewards to have the Rainy Day Saver, so you'd need to keep a current account and pay at least £800 into it each month. You'd also need two direct debits to pay out each month or the fee wouldn't be waived.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure