Considering moving from Barclays to Starling for current account

Options
I've been with Barclays for 40 years and thinking it's time for a change. I only really use Barclays for our joint current account and it usually has about £5k floating around in it. I've done research and for a start I'd get some interest on this balance rather than nothing.

I'm just a little nervous. Any positive or negative experiences with Starling anyone?

Comments

• TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello, I'm not familiar with them have you done a Starling Bank search on here to see previous threads? But it's easy nowadays to switch banks.
  • CrickJon
    CrickJon Posts: 71 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I have. Digested with interest and just thought I'd check for more recent experiences first. Thanks.
  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    For overall service quality, Starling 81% and Barclays 65%:
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don’t run mine as current account. Just top it up as and when because I mainly use it for spending abroad. No issues though. 
    App is fine to use. I have never needed to use their customer service though so I couldn’t comment on how good (or otherwise) that is. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    CrickJon said:
    Yes I have. Digested with interest and just thought I'd check for more recent experiences first. Thanks.
    OK, are you looking for one with a branch nearby in your area. Or happy to maintain using online banking. A lot of the Barclays customers in my town are moving to other nearby banks and building societies Nationwide, Yorkshire lloyds seem to be doing most of the transfers, I have seen a lot of upset people closing down accounts that have been with barclays decades. And I don't blame them worst service and treatment of customers that I have ever seen. 
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Open Starling, but keep Barclays. Always wise to have more than one account with different organisations 
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • CrickJon
    Options
    I’m happy to move to online. I can’t remember the last time I went into a branch of Barclays. I just think the app for Starling has a lot more to offer than Barclays. Maybe it’s time I ditched them for a more modern bank.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    CrickJon said:
    I’m happy to move to online. I can’t remember the last time I went into a branch of Barclays. I just think the app for Starling has a lot more to offer than Barclays. Maybe it’s time I ditched them for a more modern bank.
    If you only have the one bank account, you should heed the advice above from @surreysaver
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • CrickJon
    edited 5 May at 5:18PM
    Options
    CrickJon said:
    If you only have the one bank account, you should heed the advice above from @surreysaver
    The thing is, I want to use a Switch so all direct debits etc go with it. Doesn’t that automatically mean it will close it?

That said, I do have other accounts with Barclays, including a Rainy Day saver which I assume they will want me to close if I’ve moved my current account away from them?

I have other accounts at Chase, NatWest, Santander, HSBC…
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback