Family member, 60, widowed, on ESA. What might she be entitled too, please?

Options
Hi, as stated in the title. R, female, was married for several decades. Her husband, sadly, died a couple of days ago. She is off work, having been dismissed while recovering from an operation, (Now looking at unfair dismissal, but that's a different story!) and is receiving ESA. Can anyone tell me, and thus her, what she is entitled to claim, and how to go about this please? Husband left almost no money, had no insurance. He was 66. Thank, mumtoomany.xx
Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,941 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 5 May at 4:00PM
    Options
    As husband was (just) above state pension age unfortunately I don't think R will be eligible for a Bereavement Support Payment. <EDIT> My mistake;  Other posters have pointed out that this is incorrect - to be eligible it is the bereaved, not the deceased, who needs to be under SPA so R should qualify providing her husband had the necessary NI contributions

Did he have any private pension ?  If so R may be entitled to either a spouses pension (if a defined benefit pension) or the pot (if a defined contribution one). 

Other possibilities that spring to mind depending on R's savings (if any) and where she is living (rented ? own home ? which country of the UK ?) are Universal Credit and Council Tax Reduction   
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could try putting her details into the Benefit Calculator at entitledto.co.uk

Details of how to claim any benefits will usually be on gov.uk, but Council Tax Reduction usually has to be applied for on the local council's website.  
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the property they lived in rented or owned? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mumtoomany
    mumtoomany Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 5 May at 12:23PM
    Options
    Hi, @p00hsticks. Thanks for the reply. No private pension and he'd only later enough NI for a reduced state pension. Savings of less than £3000, R lives in England. R has no savings but owns her own home outright. Thank you.

@tacpot12, and @elsien, thank you, I'll tell her to put her details in there. Council tax won't be reduced, adult child still living at home, so still two adults. 

Thank you both, mumtoomany.xx

Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 May at 12:31PM
    Options
    Cancel tax won’t be reduced, but is the other adult earning/claiming benefits and paying a fair share towards the bills? Because if they weren’t before, this is when they need to start. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,367 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I do think R would be eligible for Bereavement Support Payment if she was under SP age.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As husband was (just) above state pension age unfortunately I don't think R will be eligible for a Bereavement Support Payment. 
    That's not correct. As R is under state pension age they could potentially claim it.https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment/eligibility

If their ESA is New style ESA then they should use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. The ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 

If it's the old contributions based then potentially could be entitled to the Income Related top up. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment/eligibility

Eligibility

Bereavement Support Payment is not means-tested. This means what you earn or how much you have in savings will not affect what you get.

When your partner died, you must have been:

Your partner must have either:

You can still make a claim if you’re not sure whether your partner paid enough National Insurance contributions. The Bereavement Service will let you know.

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,941 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Brie said:
    I do think R would be eligible for Bereavement Support Payment if she was under SP age.  
    Yes, my mistake - I was thinking that it was the deceased person that had to be under state pension age, but it;s the bereaved that needs to be under that age. I'll go back and edit my post to correct it. 
  • Rubyroobs
    Rubyroobs Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Single person occupancy discount for council tax and possibly further council tax support. 
    If in ESA support group then she should look at claiming Universal credit. 
    Bereavement support payments if husband worked and paid NI contributions during his lifetime ( I think he does not need to have worked for many weeks ).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback