PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What can home owners do about noisy tenants?

Options

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 May at 2:31PM
    Options
    So you said it's constant noise but then also that the kid goes to school, kid also likely is asleep 21-7, what time does it affect you?
    If you come back from work at 6pm, and we're talking about 1/2 hours in the evening - is there something you could change in your life? Go to the gym, do shopping.. or buy them Xbox?

Some of my friends had a similar experience with neighbours who were arguing every evening, at some point they called the police as they fought something serious is happening and it got much worse from then, neighbours got really vicious, called police multiple times on them and they ended up selling the place after living there under a year.

Saying that, I really hope the note helps to improve current situation.

The noise is first thing in the morning, in the evening and then all day at the weekends. It’s really not on. I use to live above someone in a flat and I was always mindful of others. 
    Hope you get it sorted, as they will be off school for 6 weeks in a few weeks.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    edited 5 May at 2:44PM
    Options
    I am not sure why the negative comments. It was a question about a serious problem, which I wasn’t aware of when I bought the flat. It’s quite upsetting actually. I live down south where my work is, try buying a house. 

The noise is a bit more then family noise, it’s horrendous to the point of driving me mad, it’s constant. It sounds like the kids are playing and jumping off the sofa or bed onto the floor and sounds like the ceiling is caving in. No one should have to deal with that, whether you rent or buy. I rented for 20 years in a converted house, so I know what it’s like. Normal movements is fine, but this is bad. This is a persons whole body weight. 

I don’t feel more entitled, but saving for a deposit is hard and takes years, and when your taking out a mortgage the last thing you want to feel is that you can’t spend time in your new home because of the noise being so bad! I appreciate the headphone suggestions, but I can’t wear headphones all day every day. 

I have penned a very kind message in a card, and will see if that helps. If not I will have to take it further. At the moment I don’t know who their letting agency is, I am hoping my estate agents can help me with that. 
    It could be the child has additional needs and therefore probably is jumping up and down. It's something which while isn't fair on you is impossible to stop. 
    My son is autistic and all day it sounds like a heard of elephants banging around upstairs - literally like he might come through the floor.. I'm used to it now but it's definitely disruptive. We had to option to get a detached house so as not to burden our neighbours, but many people as you can no doubt understand, do not have such options. 
    I am not sure why the negative comments. It was a question about a serious problem, which I wasn’t aware of when I bought the flat. It’s quite upsetting actually. I live down south where my work is, try buying a house. 

The noise is a bit more then family noise, it’s horrendous to the point of driving me mad, it’s constant. It sounds like the kids are playing and jumping off the sofa or bed onto the floor and sounds like the ceiling is caving in. No one should have to deal with that, whether you rent or buy. I rented for 20 years in a converted house, so I know what it’s like. Normal movements is fine, but this is bad. This is a persons whole body weight. 

I don’t feel more entitled, but saving for a deposit is hard and takes years, and when your taking out a mortgage the last thing you want to feel is that you can’t spend time in your new home because of the noise being so bad! I appreciate the headphone suggestions, but I can’t wear headphones all day every day. 

I have penned a very kind message in a card, and will see if that helps. If not I will have to take it further. At the moment I don’t know who their letting agency is, I am hoping my estate agents can help me with that. 
    It could be the child has additional needs and therefore probably is jumping up and down. It's something which while isn't fair on you is impossible to stop. 
    My son is autistic and all day it sounds like a heard of elephants banging around upstairs - literally like he might come through the floor.. I'm used to it now but it's definitely disruptive. We had to option to get a detached house so as not to burden our neighbours, but many people as you can no doubt understand, do not have such options. 
    I have anxiety disorder and don’t like loud noises. Hence why I said it’s driving me mad. I don’t think anyone should have to suffer. I do feel this is a parenting thing, and just being mindful. I have an autistic cousin and nethew so I understand the challenge, but I don’t know for sure if it’s that….plus it’s 2 kids not just one. 

I hope that you can impress on the parents that it's causing you problems. It doesn't really matter whether this is a parenting issue or you are super-sensitive. You want a bit more peace, and you ideally want to encourage the parents to take the kids to the park, where they can let off steam without disturbing you.  That's a lot more positive than just asking the parents to stop their kids being kids.

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    That’s what I was talking about having bought the property. I don’t see why I should have to manoeuvre around her kids after taking out a 300k mortgage. 
    The noise is first thing in the morning, in the evening and then all day at the weekends. It’s really not on. I use to live above someone in a flat and I was always mindful of others. 
    I really understand that the noise is causing you some concern.

I am sure you do not mean it, or realise it, but the manner of your comments really make you sound "entitled" and that you somehow consider yourself, as a home owner, above the neighbours, who are renting.
    You may not like to hear that your comments come across other than as you intend, but far better to hear that from a forum like this than from the neighbours negatively reacting to the same comments.

I think a very softly-softly, friendly neighbour, tea-and-cake, drop the noise into conversation approach will be far more effective here than anything formal, notes, cards, messages via Letting Agents etc.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Options
    That’s what I was talking about having bought the property. I don’t see why I should have to manoeuvre around her kids after taking out a 300k mortgage. 
    I really understand that the noise is causing you some concern.

I am sure you do not mean it, or realise it, but the manner of your comments really make you sound "entitled" and that you somehow consider yourself, as a home owner, above the neighbours, who are renting.
    You may not like to hear that your comments come across other than as you intend, but far better to hear that from a forum like this than from the neighbours negatively reacting to the same comments.

I think a very softly-softly, friendly neighbour, tea-and-cake, drop the noise into conversation approach will be far more effective here than anything formal, notes, cards, messages via Letting Agents etc.
    The OP says that there’s a language barrier, which makes the tea and cake approach problematic. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,169 Forumite
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    The OP says that there’s a language barrier, which makes the tea and cake approach problematic. 
    The more friendly they can keep things the better.
    The OP will also wish to avoid anything that has to be declared as a dispute at whatever time in the future they decide to sell.
  • Martico
    Martico Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just to add a vote to the friendly in-person approach. Particularly given the experience of this thread, which has shown how the written word can be construed in different ways by writer and reader.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'll add that your 'friendly note' might come across as 'troublesome whinging complaining neighbour'.

If you write the note in the way you've written your responses in this thread I would fear you might just come across as a bit 'holier than though' - (even if it's genuinely not your intention to do so - I just don't want you to break down communications at such an early stage).

I would try the direct 'face to face' approach first before writing notes, calling the council and writing to landlords. Even if English isn't their first language - a friendly smile can still overcome most barriers. I've lived in countries where English was a second (or third) language - and still managed to communicate with a little perseverence, usually raising a few laughs along the way. It depends on how you approach them.

If you think back to that famous 90's sitcom - try to be more Daisy and less Hyacinth.

I'd also, as has been suggested find out the type of flooring they have, and see what the lease says, if anything about such floorings. Ultimately though, no matter what the flooring, kids will always be kids, and with the best will in the world, they aren't going to sit in the corner 24/7. I'm sure with a friendly smile you'll be able to reduce it, but I don't think you'll be able to eliminate it. 

So you'll either have to find a way to mitigate it to suit your lifestyle, or at the extreme, sell-up - and ensure your onward purchase is a top-floor flat or a house.

An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,847 Forumite
    Options

The negative comments are a response to your negative attitude of home owners >> tenants.  Just because you’ve taken out a mortgage to buy a lease doesn’t mean that you somehow have more rights than someone with an AST.  Should tenants have to put up with noisy leaseholders simply because the leaseholder has a mortgage? If you have a noisy neighbour in England the avenues open to you are the same as if the people living upstairs were leaseholders like yourself or tenants.  Neither the landlord nor the letting agency acting on the landlord’s behalf have any legal obligation to do anything about your complaint. Rather than sticking a note through their letterbox why not introduce yourself to your new neighbours and speak to them face to face? 

If after speaking with your neighbours that doesn’t work then you can contact your council’s environmental health team but I’m not sure if the council will do anything about noise coming from children. It can be difficult enough to get councils to do something about heavy metal being blasted at 3am never mind children being noisy.  

@propertyrental asked about flooring requirements in the lease. If the leases specify that floors should be carpeted but the flat upstairs is not that’s one avenue to pursue via the freeholder.  Living in a flat you might also want to consider soundproofing your home to keep other people’s noise out. 

The negative comments are a response to your negative attitude of home owners >> tenants.  Just because you’ve taken out a mortgage to buy a lease doesn’t mean that you somehow have more rights than someone with an AST.  Should tenants have to put up with noisy leaseholders simply because the leaseholder has a mortgage? If you have a noisy neighbour in England the avenues open to you are the same as if the people living upstairs were leaseholders like yourself or tenants.  Neither the landlord nor the letting agency acting on the landlord’s behalf have any legal obligation to do anything about your complaint. Rather than sticking a note through their letterbox why not introduce yourself to your new neighbours and speak to them face to face? 

If after speaking with your neighbours that doesn’t work then you can contact your council’s environmental health team but I’m not sure if the council will do anything about noise coming from children. It can be difficult enough to get councils to do something about heavy metal being blasted at 3am never mind children being noisy.  

@propertyrental asked about flooring requirements in the lease. If the leases specify that floors should be carpeted but the flat upstairs is not that’s one avenue to pursue via the freeholder.  Living in a flat you might also want to consider soundproofing your home to keep other people’s noise out. 

I have rented for 20 years, so I am by no means implying that homeowners are better. What I am saying is after you have grinded to save up and taken out a large mortgage, I don’t feel it’s right or fair to simply just ignore it, change my routine or buy a set of headphones. We all have to be mindful of our surroundings and no one should suffer in their own home, be it rent or buy. Renters do have more flexibility to move if there is a problem though. It’s not like I can just up sticks and leave. 

Thank you for your suggestions
    I need to take a look at the lease which I will do once I have internet as it’s all online. I have literally only been here a few days. 

You may not mean it but your posts are coming across as "entitled"

You have saved and now got a mortgage so others must be aware of that.
    Life unfortunately isn't like that.

Neighbours can be fantastic or the bane of one's life. 

Lots of good advice on this thread and I do hope you get some sort of resolution.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure