Buyer wants to return item .. pattern is upside down

Options
I sold an item a few days ago and have just received a message stating that the fabric pattern is upside down.

I never noticed this but have to agree, it is upside down.

however, i photographed the item and the person bought it .. i guess also not noticing the fabric.

The buyer added that it fitted perfectly, but has asked me to send a similar item with the correct alignment of fabric, which i can not do .. it was just a single item i had.

How should I word my reply ?

Basically iIll just ask her to return it and I'll refund her, but who has to pay for the return postage and must I also refund the original postage. The two postages come to just over £6

thanks

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If it's upside down - even if you didn't notice it - then that indicates the product is not right.

Let them return it and refund it, you'll have to bear the cost of return.

Then you can re-advertise it mentioning the fact that it's upside down, and see if you can sell it again.

An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Let them return it and refund it, you'll have to bear the cost of return.

I just refunded the full amount .. by the time I paid for two postages it wouldn't really have been worth it .. I probably wouldn't have been able to sell it again. Yes, the pictures did show the pattern upside down but i missed it, as did the buyer
  • GadgetGuru
    GadgetGuru Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you did the right thing in this instance. Sometimes it's just not worth the hassle, or the added cost of return. Hopefully this way the buyer stays happy regardless (I was about to say 'and will leave good feedback', but people tend not to leave feedback anyways these days!)
  • WLM21
    Options
    OP here .. Update .. received negative feedback today

I'll call eBay, as it seems a bit unfair

I took several pictures of the item but never mentioned the upside-down print .. because I didn't notice it.

The buyer obviously didn't notice it either .. surely the pictures are there to let the buyer see what they are getting and if you are happy with what you see you buy it .. if not, you don't.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They received a full refund AND they left negative feedback?  There are some very, very entitled people out there.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 5 May at 12:51PM
    Options
    You can ask them why and you think it's unfair as you refunded the money and let them keep the item. Ask if they'll review/ revise the feedback and adjust it to neutral that's the best that you can get. Ebay will suggest that also, the buyer has also waited the time to leave a negative, don't forget to block eventually to prevent further purchases. 
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 May at 2:40PM
    Options
    WLM21 said:
    OP here .. Update .. received negative feedback today

I'll call eBay, as it seems a bit unfair

I took several pictures of the item but never mentioned the upside-down print .. because I didn't notice it.

The buyer obviously didn't notice it either .. surely the pictures are there to let the buyer see what they are getting and if you are happy with what you see you buy it .. if not, you don't.
    wow! That's harsh.  (Removed by Forum Team).

I'd respond to the feedback "item photo clearly shows the print, full refund received and buyer has yet to return the item".

I'd message the buyer and say that as you gave a full refund and the print was clearly shown in the photo, that you feel it was rather unfair that they left a negative feedback. I'd then state that as they are clearly unhappy with the item and a refund has been received, you would now like the item returning and have attached a pre-paid postage label for them to use. If they have changed their mind and now wish to keep the item, they can instead re-pay the £6. Ask them to let you know which option they prefer. I'd perhaps go as far as to say that if I receive neither the item back nor the repayment of £6, you will take them to court for the money. 

(clearly it's not worth taking them to court for £6, but the threat of it just to put the wind up someone like that would be worth it!)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It's a bit of a harsh response considering you refunded them and told them to keep it. If it can't be amended then leave your feedback feedback to say the product had a fault, and was fully refunded quickly, and without fuss. Most reasonable people scanning a page of feedback will happily write off a negative entry if a friendly response has been entered to show the situation was dealt with quickly and efficiently. (Don't let it get personal)
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • WLM21
    Options
    OP .. Update 2

happily ebay removed the negative feedback, so i am delighted

I blocked the buyer too
  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If you respond you can't get it changed ask first then if no joy from Buyer you can respond. Better way to see how they dealt with previous sellers and feedback they left for others. Why ebay allow people to leave blocks of negative feedback on everything is beyond me. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback