I was Sold stolen goods on eBay can I get a refund advice needed?

Options
I wonder if any one can help me a few days ago I brought a smart speaker off eBay. It was advertised as fully working, like new.

Speaker arrived yesterday and it doesn't work. I have today come to find after contacting Manufacturer to see if I was doing something wrong that speak was reported stolen and there for deactivated and can not be reactived.

I'm rather shocked and angry to have been sold stolen goods.

What I want to know is if I contact eBay and explain that the item I was sold is stolen,  Will I get a refund.

What should I do? I don't want to keep speaker I don't want anything to do with stolen goods. 

I have written proof in the form of a email from manufacturer stating this speaker with this serial number has been reported stolen. 

Would this be enough proof for eBay to refund.

I'm also wondering if I need to go to police to report it although I doubt they will do much.

Any advice much appreciated 

Thanks in advance 

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would go to a police station and hand the item in, along with the email.  Explain to them what happened and provide all details.  If you don't do this then would might be found to be handling stolen goods.
    The police will give you crime reference number and property log number, which should be enough for you to get a refund through eBay.

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It doesn't work so SNAD.  Supporting evidence from the manufacturer can be added to your case.
  • challengedavid
    challengedavid Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    simple, SNAD, return for refund, issue sorted,  you dont know if the seller knew they were stolen or not, keep it simple and return for refund
  • RedImp_2
    RedImp_2 Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    simple, SNAD, return for refund, issue sorted,  you dont know if the seller knew they were stolen or not, keep it simple and return for refund
    You don’t know if they knew they were stolen, but then you have to think how did they get hold of these non-functioning speakers…..
  • challengedavid
    Options
    RedImp_2 said:
    You don’t know if they knew they were stolen, but then you have to think how did they get hold of these non-functioning speakers…..
    totally agree, but for the original problem its just not worth the hassle, just send it back to the seller at their expense will be sorted in a few days,  involve the police or ebays reps itsjust going to drag on with nasty emails etc

• FonsoBoy123
    FonsoBoy123 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I have opened a SNAD case as you guys all recommended and added supporting evidence including email from Manufacturer. Seller has responded and is refusing a return. His message says sorry don't accept returns. What should I do now. It only gives me a option to message back should I reply or just wait and hope I can esculate to eBay.

Do you think them refusing return makes them more likely to have known it was stolen. 

Again any advice much appreciated thanks in advance 
  • challengedavid
    edited 4 May at 9:35AM
    Options
    iirc, you have to wait a few days then there will be an option where you can escalate the case, then they will be forced to supply a returns label, if they dont you will get a refund anyway, been a while from the last time i had to do that
     i would not engage with the seller at all now and what ever you do do not close the case!
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The seller saying they don't accept returns covers goodwill "I changed my mind" scenarios, not defective or stolen goods.
    You can/should escalate on ebay; there's a chat option and you might even get to talk to someone if necessary.
  • GadgetGuru
    GadgetGuru Posts: 659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May at 11:25AM
    Options
    Echo the above - respond politely stating you have a non-functional and stolen item that you will not accept. That's it - nothing more needs to be said.
    Or you could just not respond at all. 

Escalate the case to eBay when you have a chance to do so. 
    The seller will be forced to provide a returns label, and then issue the refund once he has received the item back. 

The seller can refuse refunds for 'change of mind' requests. 
    Sellers cannot refuse refunds for damaged or SNAD items. 
  • Lonelygambler
    Lonelygambler Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No seller can refuse returns. 

Ebay will side with you, you will get your refund and he will lose out. 

Just stick at it. 

Gambling Addict - Acting now before it's too late. Gambling losses well over 25k. 

Current Situation:
    Unsecured Personal Debt - May 2024
    Natwest CC 0% - £3000 - £1629
    MBMA CC 0% £4500 - £4150
    Tesco Loan - £10,400 - £9970

Debt cleared off since starting on here: £2151

Money saved by not gambling £3000

13 Weeks Gamble Free! 

Aim to be debt free by 2026... 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories