We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

I was Sold stolen goods on eBay can I get a refund advice needed?

Options
13»

Comments

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    josephlck said:
    The advice from eBay to send it back is likely not the legal thing to do.

You're right, it isn't. It's possibly a crime to send knowingly stolen goods to anyone but the police.
    I'd call or Tweet Ebay and let them know that they're being complicit in a crime. Then report to the police and ask for a full refund.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    Best thing to do is call eBay and explain you've been told the item was stolen so should you return or should you take it to the police. 

If you are lucky, the item isn't too expensive and you use eBay often they might just refund you from their pocket. 
  • BlueonBlue
    BlueonBlue Posts: 77 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was sold stolen goods on ebay which I only found out via a scottish police inspector ringing me up to let me know .
    Couldnt send it back as it was in winter storage in europe .
    Insurance covered the issue I believe and the seller had to face PC plods charges 
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ebay, on their help pages, tell you to go to the police. They should not be telling you to return it.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure