Low user O2 sim-only - should I switch to Spusu?

Options
Airlane1979
Airlane1979 Posts: 7 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
edited 3 May at 1:06PM in Mobiles
I've been with O2 for some years and I spend very little: my increased latest monthly fee is £4.06. However, O2 emailed to mention I could leave within the next 30 days for no penalty. On the MSE site, there is a cheaper sim-only offer from Spusu whom I'd not heard of which uses the EE network. Their offer is £2.90/month for 1GB data (I use only about 200MB a month at most of my 500MB) and unlimited calls. They accept payments only via credit cards or PayPal which feels a bit dodgy, and all offers from other providers are higher than my O2 price. 

Should I switch to save £1.16 a month? I'm not sure it's worth trying an obscure company.

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't think there's an issue with payment by credit card.  I've been with Lebara for a while now and I pay by credit card.  It helps me build up Avios points.
    If you go to the effort of switching, in order to save £14 per year, what happens if you don't like Spusu?  Can you go back to paying £4 per month with O2 or would you end up paying more?

• graham47
    graham47 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been with O2 for some years and I spend very little: my increased latest monthly fee is £4.06. However, O2 emailed to mention I could leave within the next 30 days for no penalty. On the MSE site, there is a cheaper sim-only offer from Spusu whom I'd not heard of which uses the EE network. Their offer is £2.90/month for 1GB data (I use only about 200MB a month at most of my 500MB) and unlimited calls. They accept payments only via credit cards or PayPal which feels a bit dodgy, and all offers from other providers are higher than my O2 price. 

Should I switch to save £1.16 a month? I'm not sure it's worth trying an obscure company.
    I joined Spusu a month ago. Because I have an IPhone I was able to get an e-sim rather than waiting for a physical sim.  When you get your sim you don’t have to activate the sim until you are ready, maybe using up credit.  I was able to port on a day I set and everything was faultless.  Calling CS was answered very quickly and the agent was helpful and knowledgeable.  So far, billing is accurate.
    Spusu use EE which was my reason for using them.  WiFi calling and Volte are available only for iPhones and certain Samsung phones but otherwise everything is identical to what I was getting.  So far no problems with receiving OTP codes.

I actually setup the account using a Santander debit card which is my budgeting account.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 May at 10:44AM
    Options
    I've read the mixed reports about Spusu including connectivity issues and they have been enough to discourage me from considering them even as a secondary network. 

Personally I would stick with O2, particularly at the price you are currently getting.

Edit - just to add that wifi calling is restricted to a limited number of handsets. When I checked a couple of weeks ago Apple was pretty much covered but had to run IOS 17 or higher. For Samsung you have to be running Android 13 or higher. That's it. No other makes. My Pixel 7a isn't on the list so it's a non starter for me.

• SChitmehard
    SChitmehard Posts: 104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    read spasu terms about cancelling/returning SIM card at the end of the document. sneaky way to get money from people I feel.
  • gmsery
    gmsery Posts: 3 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I joined Id-Mobile having found a deal via the MSE website. I am paying £8/month, even though my voice/text/data usage is super low. 1Gb is more than enough for me (I have 30Gb but use less than 1Gb each month).

Just interested to hear about this company. For £3/month, even if they were garbage, and you were forced to leave them early, I could handle throwing away £3/month. When my Id-Mobile contract ends, I will consider trying them out just for the hell of it. I wonder which network they use (piggy-back on)?

Just a thank-you for the information. I had never heard of them previously.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 May at 8:48PM
    Options
    gmsery said:
    I joined Id-Mobile having found a deal via the MSE website. I am paying £8/month, even though my voice/text/data usage is super low. 1Gb is more than enough for me (I have 30Gb but use less than 1Gb each month).

Just interested to hear about this company. For £3/month, even if they were garbage, and you were forced to leave them early, I could handle throwing away £3/month. When my Id-Mobile contract ends, I will consider trying them out just for the hell of it. I wonder which network they use (piggy-back on)?

Just a thank-you for the information. I had never heard of them previously.
    A quick search on Google will tell you which network they use. Alternatively, read the original post. 
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I'd say absolutely not if that's all you're paying O2. There is always the possibility of losing your mobile number along the way if you keep switching to someone else just to save the odd pound or so, I know that would be an absolute nightmare for me at least given all my two factor authentication accounts nowadays.
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @Airlane1979 BTW, how did you get such a low price with O2 in the first place?
  • ruflonger
    ruflonger Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Spusu do a £1 a month for 3 months then £4.50 in month 4 on a rolling contract cancel anytime which if you want to try them out is a good dea and better than getting a PAYG sim from a shop to try a network before comitting to a contract.

https://www.spusu.co.uk/spusu5exclusive

Have posted on another thread my own personal recent experience with them if that helps anyone

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80781812/#Comment_80781812

• BlueonBlue
    BlueonBlue Posts: 73 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 May at 7:21PM
    Options
    How does the OP get a sim only contract with o2 for £4.06 per month with 1 GB of Data ?

This info would be more interesting or important than using or moving to Spusu .

I had a 12 month sim only with o2 for £5.96p which is 5 or 10 Gb not sure ? 
    It was price matched to a virgin tarif 
    This has now increased to £7.10pm after aprils increase.

I cant see o2 offering sim only contracts for £4 but would like to know how to get one if they do offer it.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback