PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buyers refusing indemnity policy

Options
Hi we are in the process of selling our house. We knocked a supporting wall down between living and dining room 8 years ago without building regulations involvement. We have been open and honest about this throughout the process and the wall is In good condition and has a steel etc. 

Our buyers have now refused an indemnity policy and are asking us to get building regulations approval retrospectively. This will be time consuming and costly so we have initially refused but now I'm worried theyl drop out of the purchase of our house. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this or if anyone has advice?

Thanks 

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    suspect they can ask for what they want - if you can provide it fine, if you can't or won't then they may or may not walk away - I am not sure what the indemnity covers ? is that you don't have building regs or that the work wasn't done properly? I think there is is time limit on both of these
  • kipperman
    kipperman Posts: 245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would having a specific building engineers report be acceptable to your buyers? I imagine it would certainly be faster.

Perhaps get them to engage an engineer of their choosing and you pay ( to avoid any accusations of bias).
  • Wottykitten
    Wottykitten Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I await the feedback from their solicitor but will look into building engineer report as that might be quicker and easier, thanks 
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    kipperman said:
    Would having a specific building engineers report be acceptable to your buyers? I imagine it would certainly be faster.

Perhaps get them to engage an engineer of their choosing and you pay ( to avoid any accusations of bias).
    The physical work (e.g. uncovering the beam for inspection) is broadly the same for an engineer's report as for BR regularisation, and may take a similar length of time.  I'd be more inclined to go for BR regularisation unless time was critical and the LABC simply couldn't provide it within the required timescale.

On the other hand, if the buyer pulls out because of this issue then finding a new buyer and going through the whole process again may take even longer than that.

As the buyer I'd also be wondering what other work might have been done on the house without BR signoff, if something as major as the removal of a structural wall had been done on the QT.
  • Wottykitten
    First Post
    Options
    They've had a full survey there has been no other structural work carried out since 8 years ago. We are just worried wel lose the house we are hoping to buy and want things sorting in the most timely manner. I'm aware that we should have sought building regulations but know lots of people don't and sell their houses with indemnity policies in places so was just wondering if anyone could think of any alternative solutions
  • Southend_2
    Southend_2 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just out of interest (genuine interest, not judging) what was the reason you didn't get building regulations approval at the time you had the work done?
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have been open and honest about this throughout the process 

How open and honest? Did you spell out to potential buyers at the outset that the works had been done and that you weren't proposing to provide them with anything? 

An indemnity policy only helps if there is enforcement action by building control - which in practice is hardly likely to happen, even if structural problems arise.
  • Wottykitten
    First Post
    Options
    We were just told not to bother by our builder. Which was naive of us but here we are. We have pictures of the steels going in and there's been no signs of any movement in 8 years
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They've had a full survey there has been no other structural work carried out since 8 years ago. We are just worried wel lose the house we are hoping to buy and want things sorting in the most timely manner. I'm aware that we should have sought building regulations but know lots of people don't and sell their houses with indemnity policies in places so was just wondering if anyone could think of any alternative solutions
    There's other stuff incuding electrics and windows that are covered by the regulations but often done without the necessary notification/approval.  In terms of seriousness, structural work done without signoff is near the top of the list, and as a competent builder should know that this work needs engineer's calculations and BC signoff it inevitably raises questions about the competence of the builder and what else there may be an issue with.

That isn't intended as a criticism of you, just pointing out how the buyer's minds may be working.  If you now refuse point-blank to get regularisation it may add to the buyer's possible perception that there is more bad news waiting to be discovered.

Indemnity policies don't stop buildings collapsing, so personally I'd be wary of accepting one where there is a question mark on structural work.  If the buyer accepts one in your case then they can't subsequently contact BC to get regularisation, and would need to be cautious about getting their own SE to check things out at a later date because if the SE discovers a problem the buyer (by now the owner) won't be able to just ignore it.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    An indemnity policy is, frankly, worthless. 

You may have pictures of a steel going in, but where are the engineer's calculations of the size of the steel? Were the pad stones properly installed? Is there enough support for the concentrated loads? And so on. At least, that’s what I would worry about.

On the plus side, it’s been in place 8 years without causing any problems. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback