asda no open tills

Options
mcn99
mcn99 Posts: 58 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 3 May at 9:30AM in Praise, vent & warnings
Just went shopping at asda but when I tried to find an open check out lane, all were closed, was just after 8.30pm so no where near closing time.

Asked if they could open a till as I had a very full trolley full of food but just got a grunt and told to use the self scan area

So just left shop discarding shopping. Probably over 200 quids worth

I think this is the last time I use Asda, was furious at poor customer service.

I don't mind using self scan, but not when I do a massive shop

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    mcn99 said:
    Just went shopping at asda but when I tried to find an open check out lane, all were closed, was just after 8.30pm so no where near closing time.

Asked if they could open a till as I had a very full trolley full of food but just got a grunt and told to use the self scan area

So just left shop discarding shopping. Probably over 200 quids worth

I think this is the last time I use Asda, was furious at poor customer service.

I refuse to use the self service tills. 
    I'd sooner wait in a queue and I politely tell the store assistant that I don't work there when they ask me if I want to use self service 
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It should be policy to offer the alternative to self service for big shops or people unable or unwilling to use self service.  Did you take your request further than the initial grumpy staff member?  I doubt its policy.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Confusedlad
    Confusedlad Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I had the same at the York branch of the Halifax yesterday. All cashiers had a "position closed" sign up and customers were being forced to use the in-store machines to transact ..in my case to deposit a cheque. I was told this was policy (not a one off). Shareholders before customers (or in my case soon, ex-customer). In their defence someone was able to help if I needed it, but this is not the way forward, in my view. There are options, which I for one plan to take and vote with my feet.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mcn99 said:

Why not use the hand zapper things then? Can scan as you walk round and bag it all up too.
  • booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 325 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 May at 3:51PM
    Options
    I do understand changes away from tradition sometimes jars, but we are happily self-serving in certain situations and have been quietly content content with those. Petrol station pumps, cash machines, online banking and I guess things like ticket machines at railway stations to go even further back.

I can see it from the businesses point of view too. I guess Lidl and Aldi would be good options for those who utterly despise self checkout.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would have asked the assistant t put the shopping through.

I have done that when only one till open and a large queue and an assistant pointed out the self service.

Staff costs versus number of customers will truly on tills being closed at quieter times.
    Visitrd M&S food sore early one morning and only self service open. 

• mcn99
    mcn99 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    la531983 said:
    mcn99 said:

Why not use the hand zapper things then? Can scan as you walk round and bag it all up too.

I do use tesco scan and bag, but don't use asda after issues with it.

Anyway left store fuming, will now try and avoid using asda in future after this. It seems like asda has been getter worse in recent years
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    la531983 said:
    mcn99 said:

We use the scanners for our big shops. I cannot be bothered with loading it all on the conveyor belt and then repack it all again. Plus I get to check the prices as I go around. 
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £41,671.53
  • retiredbanker1
    retiredbanker1 Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    booneruk said:
    I do understand changes to tradition sometimes jars, but we are happily self-serving in certain situations and have been quietly content content with those. Petrol station pumps, cash machines, online banking and I guess things like ticket machines at railway stations to go even further back.

I can see it from the businesses point of view too. I guess Lidl and Aldi would be good options for those who utterly despise self checkout.
    My local ALDI has just started this - from what I could see only the walk ins for a quick one or two items were using them the trolley loads were all going through the tills.
    Poor girl seemed desperate for people to use them - useless management nowhere to be seen.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback