General investment account ,ISA and SIPP

Options
 general investment account ,ISA and SIPP on abrdn platform can i move money from the General investment acct to the ISA without capital gains tax issues?

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,676 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is no CGT on moving money between accounts. How you got that money might have generated a CGT liability.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,023 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 May at 2:24PM
    Options
    It's a sell in the GIA... so it will crystallise gains. Buy again in the ISA without having to wait 30days - 'bed & isa' - and maybe a trading cost saving and/or avoid settlement delay, depending on platform. 

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    george20 said:
     general investment account ,ISA and SIPP on abrdn platform can i move money from the General investment acct to the ISA without capital gains tax issues?
    This is not just 'moving': you sell assets in the GIA and then buy them again in the SIPP. Any capital gain that results in the GIA may be subject to CGT.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    george20 said:
    Bed & ISA is treated as a disposal for CGT purposes.  So, the answer will depend on how much your gains are.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Beddie
    Beddie Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There will be taxable gains as you have to sell, then buy in the ISA. So work out what your gains are and only sell enough to keep it below £k gains. Same again next tax year until it's all in the ISA.

Or just pay the tax if you want it moved now.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    george20 said:
    On your other thread you ask:
    george20 said:
    I want to move my GIA funds from one platform to another ,what is the best way to do this avoiding tax issues /capital gains 
    so perhaps worth clarifying exactly what you want to move, i.e. are you using 'funds' and 'money' interchangeably or considering two unrelated moves?  Moving a cash balance won't have tax implications, but if the money is invested then there may be a CGT liability if the transfer can't be handled on an in specie basis....
  • DavidAC
    DavidAC Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You might also have a tax liability for any dividends you have received.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DavidAC said:
    You might also have a tax liability for any dividends you have received.
    But that will have been an ongoing issue while holding the investments within the GIA, i.e. it isn't related to the process of selling or moving elsewhere.
  • DavidAC
    DavidAC Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I mentioned it because it is relevant to the purpose of transferring from a GA to ISA for tax reasons. You should not just consider if you are building up a capital gain liability in a GA, but also an ongoing dividen liability, especially now the dividend allowance has been reduced.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback