ChecknFly/BA/AA delay

Options
Hi all, I'd be really grateful for some advice. My friend and I booked flights to Louisville, KY last Autumn with the website CheckNFly. The journey was 3 parts, Edinburgh/London, London/PA, PA/Louisville. The first leg was delayed, this was with BA. We then missed our connection. American Airlines rebooked us to Louisville via Chicago. Unfortunately they booked us with less than an hour to change and immigration obviously took hours at Chicago so we missed our next connection. Arrived into Louisville eventually about 5 hours after we were supposed to. We've tried seeking compensation from American Airlines but they say we need to seek it from British Airways. We can't fill in the form on British Airways because we booked the flight through CheckNFly. Does anyone have any advice? 
I was heavily pregnant at the time so the delays were particularly tricky, and I now am a single parent to a newborn so capacity limited! To be honest I would pay someone to sort this for me as I doubt it's going to happen otherwise. Does anyone know where I should go next?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    First things first, what was the reason for the initial delay, i.e. was it something that would be considered to be within the airline's control?

Was the entire booking handled as a single ticket, i.e. were you booking your baggage through from start to finish?

Assuming both are 'yes', you should be able to submit a delay claim via BA, regardless of the original booking being via an agent, as it's the operating airline that's liable to pay any compensation due - what exactly happens when you try?  If the form doesn't allow it, you may need to submit the claim via another channel, such as phone or their generic customer services contacts....
  • BexofAmbridge
    BexofAmbridge Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you and sorry for delay (children!). Answer to both is yes. Or we didn't really have a reason for the late take off from Edinburgh to London - no adverse conditions etc just it was late. I think it was that - form didn't work as needed a booking number but the one we had didn't work as booked through a third agent. So submitting the MSE letter via general customer service is a good next step and the one I will take. Thank you! 
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have not heard of not being able to submit if booked through third party. You should have got two booking references, one for the agent booking and also one that could be used on the BA website. Were you able to view your booking/check-in online in advance on the BA website? - is that the reference you tried?
  • BexofAmbridge
    Options
    Oh there seems to be no way to email BA. Even Resolver doesn't have an email for them
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What date was the flight, and what was the flight number? There are places you can find out the delay history of flights.

BA have been heavily affected by weather at Heathrow recently
  • BexofAmbridge
    Options
    It was back in November - had a baby since then so it has delayed things !
    I can't see a BA booking number anywhere but need to go back and go through the emails to see if we can track it down as that would be key. I think the difficulty is that we actually booked with American Airlines but for the first leg (Edinburgh/London) the flight was with British Airways. So that may be why
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback