We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sky TV subscription costs

Options
2»

Comments

• JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hebrews12 said:
    Oh I've just realised that he really likes recording onto his Sky box - I should have mentioned that.
    You still need to check what exactly he watches, it's possible that a recordable Freeview box would suit him better and there would just be the one off purchase price. If you can convince him that he doesn't need to record and he has a fairly modern Freeview TV then he may not even need to do that.

Ignore the nonsense further up about Sky taking advantage of a vulnerable person, that's just embarrassing waffle.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 May at 6:34PM
    Options
    Hebrews12 said:
    Peppa537 said:
    when it does stop working they'll move him onto a Q box. 
    Not for much longer, Sky are keen to move away from satelitte based TV delivery and will stop new orders soon. It has been speculated that the Sky Q based service could be shutdown as early as 2026.
    So what will they do then?  Just so I know what I'm dealing with.
    Sky Glass or Sky Stream, both delivered via broadband, but neither allow recording.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 May at 6:59PM
    Options
    Hebrews12 said:
    Peppa537 said:
    Not for much longer, Sky are keen to move away from satelitte based TV delivery and will stop new orders soon. It has been speculated that the Sky Q based service could be shutdown as early as 2026.
    So what will they do then?  Just so I know what I'm dealing with.
    Sky Glass or Sky Stream, both delivered via broadband, but neither allow recording.
    In theory though you can record, its just held on a "cloud".  Try explaining that to an man in his 80s!

As for the OP, its possible any "deal" is going to be conditional on the box being replaced for a Sky Q one.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    la531983 said:

In theory though you can record, its just held on a "cloud".  T
    Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that was possible. So it works like a personal catch-up, where the "recording" would have to be streamed to the local box. So I guess it would not be immediately available to play, like local recordings?
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    la531983 said:

In theory though you can record, its just held on a "cloud".  T
    Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that was possible. So it works like a personal catch-up, where the "recording" would have to be streamed to the local box. So I guess it would not be immediately available to play, like local recordings?
    The theory is that every programme is available on a cloud, not sure if that happens in practice, especially on minor channels.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 May at 7:53AM
    Options
    Well I totally see where he is coming from. We had Sky TV and BB for years but when we moved 3 years ago it wasn't available so we got Virgin installed. The BB is great but the TV box is not as easy to use as the old SKY+ one was.  For example you cannot see if you have already watched something if you delete it after watching a recording and it insists in recording late night repeats of episodes watched and deleted.
    PLus the Humax box we used for a while was also far too complicated.
  • Peppa537
    Peppa537 Posts: 261 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Peppa537 said:
    Sky aren't getting rid of their satellite service that soon, I'd heard it would be going until at least 2028.I cancelled Sky Q last month and don't miss it at all as we stream so much on other services, and watch Freesat through TV. 
  • steven141
    steven141 Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    There is also Virgin Media which allows recording but it depends on if he would like it or not.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback