Sky TV subscription costs

Options
Hebrews12
Hebrews12 Posts: 119 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 1 May at 5:43PM in Phones & TV
My elderly father has had Sky broadband and TV box (no cinema/sports etc - just the basics) for donkeys years and has just kept the payments going.  It's an old Sky+ box. I found out he's paying £108 a month for it which is crazy.  He isn't keen on switching because he's used to the box but I'm guessing they'll become obsolete before long anyway.  I'm going to have to ring on his behalf to try and get that price down but I'm guessing this is quite common so if anyone has any advice for me before ringing, I'd be very grateful.  If all else fails, we'll have to look into a different broadband provider and smart TV but he does quite like Sky.

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,941 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hebrews12 said:
      If all else fails, we'll have to look into a different broadband provider and smart TV but he does quite like Sky.
    Might be worth asking him exactly what is it about Sky he likes and what channels he watches? 
    Now TV (Entertainment package) is potentially a cheaper potential alternative that offers some of the Sky Channels   
  • Hebrews12
    edited 1 May at 5:46PM
    Options
    Hebrews12 said:
      If all else fails, we'll have to look into a different broadband provider and smart TV but he does quite like Sky.
    Might be worth asking him exactly what is it about Sky he likes and what channels he watches? 
    Now TV (Entertainment package) is potentially a cheaper potential alternative that offers some of the Sky Channels   
    I know he likes Sky News but that's probably available elsewhere.  It's probably just the navigation of the box and not wanting to learn something new. He's in his mid 80s. 
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    He's possibly got all sorts of add-ons that can come off - and do the usual threaten to leave unless they drop the price (even if you have no intention of leaving)
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Peppa537
    Peppa537 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If he wants to stay with Sky you can obviously get it for a lot, lot less than that. They are trying to get customers off the older Sky+ HD boxes but they still work at the moment, when it does stop working they'll move him onto a Q box. 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would think they have added on a few extras.  Either they haven't talked to him about this (just included in the renewal bumpf) or they've chatted and said "you like news, don't you!  Well lets make sure you have that available!!" and then added something without actually saying that it will cost an extra £££.

Obviously he'll need to be with you when you call unless he's given you a letter of autorisation to act on his behalf that has been logged with them.  (good to have something like this unless you've gone the full POA route which you might want to consider - btw - diy it at £85 each)

Then when you're talking to them make sure they realise that they are dealing with a vulnerable individual.  One who isn't too savvy on tech, might not have heard them properly and while still of sound mind finds all this stuff a bit baffling (time for a light hearted joke - "I'm half his age & it baffles me too!"). 

Let them know that you find their taking advantage of an elderly gentleman, a long term customer, a bit shocking and hope that they can be sensible about rolling back all the add ons that he doesn't need and hope that you don't need to file an official complaint and take it to ofcom to make this happen. 

My goodness, it's over £1200 a year and he's only got his pension to live on and if this continues you're worried he might have to start using the food bank.  (might save that last line for an extreme emergency.)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Peppa537 said:
    when it does stop working they'll move him onto a Q box. 
    Not for much longer, Sky are keen to move away from satelitte based TV delivery and will stop new orders soon. It has been speculated that the Sky Q based service could be shutdown as early as 2026.
  • Hebrews12
    Options
    Peppa537 said:
    when it does stop working they'll move him onto a Q box. 
    Not for much longer, Sky are keen to move away from satelitte based TV delivery and will stop new orders soon. It has been speculated that the Sky Q based service could be shutdown as early as 2026.
    So what will they do then?  Just so I know what I'm dealing with.
  • mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hebrews12 said:
    Hebrews12 said:
    I know he likes Sky News but that's probably available elsewhere.  It's probably just the navigation of the box and not wanting to learn something new. He's in his mid 80s. 
    Sky News is channel 233 on Freeview (though it's SD not HD). 

You might want to check out Now tv which is Sky through the internet rather than a satellite and box. 
  • Hebrews12
    Options
    Oh I've just realised that he really likes recording onto his Sky box - I should have mentioned that.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can he move on to Sky Stream? If he is getting Sky Broadband then I don't see why he cant get it. I have just moved to Sky for Broadband and Sky Stream for TV, away from BT who were not bothered about losing me until they discovered I was moving to Sky then offered a reduced package. Been with Sky for 6 days now and its much better than BT. Wish I had done it years ago.

Originally it was going to be £14 for 150 Meg Full Fiber Broadband and £26 for Sky Stream Entertainment package, which includes Netflix.

Due to DPD not delivering my Sky Streaming device and returning it Sky have given me the Sky Stream for £15 per month. So both for £29 per month for 18 months.

If its just Sky News you can get that on Freeview for nothing.

3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure