We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Opening more than one ISA in a tax year

Options
2»

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,655 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    art123_2 said:
    Hopefully someone can clarify this for me please.  I have 2 fixed rate cash ISAs with different providers that mature at the start of November 24.  I want to put the proceeds from both into one new 2 year fixed rate ISA, but I also want to put £20000 into a 1 year fixed rate Isa with a different provider.  Is this allowable or would I be breaking the ISA rules if I did this.
    Yes, the maturing ISAs (assuming they were opened in a previous tax year) won't have any bearing on the situation and wouldn't have even in prior tax years. Also putting £20k of new money into a separate fixed cash ISA is fine.
  • slinger2
    slinger2 Posts: 251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    masonic said:
    art123_2 said:
    Hopefully someone can clarify this for me please.  I have 2 fixed rate cash ISAs with different providers that mature at the start of November 24.  I want to put the proceeds from both into one new 2 year fixed rate ISA, but I also want to put £20000 into a 1 year fixed rate Isa with a different provider.  Is this allowable or would I be breaking the ISA rules if I did this.
    Yes, the maturing ISAs (assuming they were opened in a previous tax year) won't have any bearing on the situation and wouldn't have even in prior tax years. Also putting £20k of new money into a separate fixed cash ISA is fine.
    Making sure you "transfer" the maturing ISAs to the new one.
  • Beddie
    Beddie Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    art123_2 said:
    Yes, this is all within the rules. Transfers don't affect the annual allowance, so you are free to put £20k into any ISA you want. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure