I sell only my own assets at a loss, but more than 30 per year. Do I need to tell HMRC?

Options
I am a very active ebayer. Everything I buy for myself or home will usually end up on ebay once I'm done with it. Electronics, homeware, clothing - if it's worth selling then I'll sell it. 95% of what I sell is used goods of my own which I sell at a loss compared to what I paid for it, with the occasional 'profit' sale of something like a high value pokemon card which my son collects. Consequently I complete a relatively high number of sales on ebay for a private seller. Over the 2023 calendar year I made 77 sales and the total of all of those before fees was nearly £5k. My question is where does this leave me in terms of my obligation to report the sales to HMRC? I dont sell high value goods above £6k so I know I do not have to pay capital gains, but from what I can tell I am considered by HMRC to be 'trading' because I make more than 30 sales per year and earn more than £1000 in 'profit'. As I am almost exclusively selling my own assets at a loss, I am technically not making any profit, but is the burden on me to prove this?

Comments

• TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

You can also check guidance calculator below. 

https://www.gov.uk/check-additional-income-tax

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,000 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I am a very active ebayer. Everything I buy for myself or home will usually end up on ebay once I'm done with it. Electronics, homeware, clothing - if it's worth selling then I'll sell it. 95% of what I sell is used goods of my own which I sell at a loss compared to what I paid for it, with the occasional 'profit' sale of something like a high value pokemon card which my son collects. Consequently I complete a relatively high number of sales on ebay for a private seller. Over the 2023 calendar year I made 77 sales and the total of all of those before fees was nearly £5k. My question is where does this leave me in terms of my obligation to report the sales to HMRC? I dont sell high value goods above £6k so I know I do not have to pay capital gains, but from what I can tell I am considered by HMRC to be 'trading' because I make more than 30 sales per year and earn more than £1000 in 'profit'. As I am almost exclusively selling my own assets at a loss, I am technically not making any profit, but is the burden on me to prove this?
    HMRC doesn't say that selling over £1,000 in revenue (not profit, eBay cannot judge profit) or 30 items means you are a trader... just at that sort of volume you might be and so they want data to double check. 

You are selling your own possessions, you are buying to use not to resell for a profit and so are not a trader. Yes your data will be sent to HMRC but chances are they'll see you are just flogging your stuff, worst case, they ask a few questions. Those that sold 30 identical t-shirts other than they are in sizes ranging from XS to XXL are the ones that have something to worry about 

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,328 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If I can find one of the other threads I’ll ask the forum team to merge this rather than have another thread repeating the same info again.

Basically though nothing has changed, there is no new tax rules, personal sales are not subject to income tax . 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TimeLord1
    Options
    The £1000, limit is if you're buying to sell for profits then you need to register as a business account. But if you're clearing a collection or loft then that is private selling. 
  • TimeLord1
    Options
    What would make most sense is if ebay had capped cut off levels but they won't because people are making them money. 
  • TimeLord1
    Options
    No caps if you hit profit margins similar to top rated seller and I think 100 sales if they done something similar to stop people hitting Gains and Tax brackets then it would help people more. But currently once you sell 30 items they'll inform HMRC of this activity and if you make over £1700, so why not cap them instead of secretly passing over the information. I think they must've done a deal with HMRC so they themselves don't pay up. Wasn't us Gov they done it, we just allowed them. 
  • TimeLord1
    Options
    What some people are getting is their bank accounts if they're just personal use and the bank sees an income regularly they write to them to say' we need to close this account as we believe it's being used for business and not personal use. So it can happen that way also that was an eBay community thread people making items to sell. 
  • TimeLord1
    Options
    By all means link it up to previous thread I would like to read it. I didn't open the thread but used mostly ebay statements and Gov link to the calculator to help people. As for secretly ebay won't message people to say we've sent your yearly sales report over to HMRC as required by law. And I believe it will be software that processes all the information it receives from online selling platforms. I'll check back when this is moved to the existing thread. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback