PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Compensation for tenancy???

Options
Hi,

Im just reaching out for some advice.

I was renting a grade 2 listed property from 2018-2021 which had multiple problems including damp and inefficient heating. However, following the landlords decision to sell the property a survey was carried out by a prospective buyer and part of the building (the original stairwell) was deemed unsafe and condemnable. I actually raised the condition of the stairs to the agent when they carried out their initial 6 month check on the property and they brushed it off as being fine. As my family and I were living in the property when the stairwell was in such condition I was wondering if we would be able to claim back our rent for that period? 

We had moved out before the the survey was carried out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Comments

• BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Even if you can, and I don't think you can, I also don't think you should.

What grounds would you want to claim back rent on?  You can't say it was uninhabitable, because you were habiting it.  You can't say that part of the property was unusable, because you were using it.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your rights are to demand the landlord carries out repairs (if those are necessary). It doesn't sound like you've done that?
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 565 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So you and your family were put at risk, by an unsafe stairwell, for a period of time but you suffered no injury/no damage to your possessions. There we no consequences to you caused by using the unsafe staircase.  So how much do you think you can claim?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Manet1832 said:
    Hi,

Im just reaching out for some advice.

I was renting a grade 2 listed property from 2018-2021 which had multiple problems including damp and inefficient heating. However, following the landlords decision to sell the property a survey was carried out by a prospective buyer and part of the building (the original stairwell) was deemed unsafe and condemnable. I actually raised the condition of the stairs to the agent when they carried out their initial 6 month check on the property and they brushed it off as being fine. As my family and I were living in the property when the stairwell was in such condition I was wondering if we would be able to claim back our rent for that period? 

We had moved out before the the survey was carried out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 
    Compensation? How very American.

What are your financial losses? 

Why are people so quick to demand money for what could have happened yet took no action at the time?

If you genuinely felt the stairs were dangerous and the agent ignored you, then you get someone in to take a look at them, and if they condemned them then you would absolutely have a case to be compensated for the inconvenience of having to move out whilst repair work was done. If this house was so damp and the heating so awful and the stairs so bad, why stay? Why not move?

My advice would be to move on with your life and stop chasing what ifs. 
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 April at 10:13AM
    Options
    Yes you can ask for compo...  No, Landlord doesn't have to pay unless IMHO you suffered a loss.

Not doing anything whilst living there is not the position to start from.

Wonder what else Landlord got wrong - probably loads of paperwork.  So would likely have been unable to force eviction.

Just because landlord sells does not end tenancy nor compel tenant to leave.  You stay, new owner just becomes new landlord. 
  • Manet1832
    Manet1832 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I thought it was illegal to let a property that was condemnable???
  • Schwarzwald
    Schwarzwald Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    the time to take action was when you lived there.
    not some 3 years later.

also, just because some buyer's surveyor says xyz it doesnt mean it is xyz.
    so no, it hasnt been established that the property is or was condemnable. it's just an opinion by some surveyor.

plus, the purpose of a staircase is to ... go up and down. so were you able to .... go up and down?
    if yes, there was no actual negative impact on you.

and if there were, you should have raised it years ago. 
    quite astonishing way of thinking tbh.

• BarelySentientAI
    Options
    Manet1832 said:
    No, it's illegal to let a property that has been condemned.  That's a very different thing.

It's not illegal to let a property that at some time after it has finished being let, a builder (who has no ability to actually condemn anything) then says that a part of it might be unsafe.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As the survey was carried out after you left, there is no evidence that the property did not meet the required standard while you were a tenant.

In regards to the damp/heating, presumably it had a valid EPC when let to you (of at least an E or with an exemption registered if the tenancy began in April 2018 or later.) There is only so much that a LL can do with a listed property, which is probably part of the reason that an exemption system exists in the first place. Even if it did not, the LL being fined is most likely.

Things change over time and there is only your word that it was like that when you lived there. Environmental Health should have been contacted about the stairway if you weren't satisfied with the agent's response that it was fine. The agent may not even have told the LL that you raised the stairway with them, as you appear not to have done so in writing. The LL cannot be expected to address an issue if they are not made aware of it.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 April at 4:36PM
    Options
    Manet1832 said:
    If that is the case the you would need to be able to prove that the landlord knew that the building was condemnable.  Are you able to do that?  As others have said, the time to address this was during your tenancy.       
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback