Best way to approach investment

Options
After a lifetime of no money I am about to inherit around £60K. I've no experience of dealing with this amount of money - to many it's small to me it's immense. Any advice about the safest way to look after it - I'm at Barclays now but am uncomfortable with its military investment portfolio. What bak should I consider, should I invest, buy bitcoin? Any advice, however general ,most welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 565 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There are a number of options open to someone who inherits that amount of money.  If I was to inherit £60k now I would pay £20k in to my S&S ISA, increase my pension contributions to 100% of my salary, and live off the remainder of the inheritance - It would earn a reasonable amount of interest whilst sitting in my Kroo current account.
    What's right for you would depends on your age, health, employment situation and the current state of your finances.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ultimately it depends on what you want to do with the money. Do you need access to it over the next few years, or can you lock it away somewhere? Putting it in an easy access savings account paying a decent interest rate is the simplest approach, but may not be the way to maximise returns. Locking the money away in notice/fixed-term savings can offer better returns, but you can't access your money as readily. Investing (stocks/shares) can often (but not always) provide even better returns, but requires at least a 5 year timeline (ideally longer) to ride out any bumps in the market. Avoid crypto - that is gambling, not investing.
  • brendanxx
    brendanxx Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for comments - I am 73 and,  I guess, don't want to put it away for five years. Will mull your comments over.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 May at 1:27PM
    Options
    brendanxx said:
    Many thanks for comments - I am 73 and,  I guess, don't want to put it away for five years. Will mull your comments over.
    Actual investing, in a portfolio of funds with any body, your bank or otherwise, is a long term thing.

If you're unhappy with the concept of 5 years (the minimum usually recommended for actual investments), don't invest.

Just put it in a savings savings account (or a cash - not stocks and shares - ISA) with a good rate of interest.

60k at 5% would bring in £3k per annum. Not a bad return. And the capital stays untroubled by market fluctuations.

You might need to pay tax on that interest depending on your circumstances, so maxing the amount in a cash ISA (20k per annum) would help reduce tax liability as interest on that 20k would be tax-free.
  • Beddie
    Beddie Posts: 689 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
     Spend some of it, or give away to family. Put £20k in a cash ISA and the rest in premium bonds.

Best ISA rates: https://moneyfactscompare.co.uk/isa/easy-access-cash-isas/

Probably Kent Reliance if you want a nice simple process, though not quite the highest rates.

• SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your best starting point is to use the correct board, Savings & Investments, the clue is in the title :)
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As above, this forum is mainly about bank accounts and this is the one you want.
    Savings & investments — MoneySavingExpert Forum

If you repost on there include all detail you can. Like your age, any debts or other savings for example.
    This is because what you should do with £60K, is different to what somebody else in a different situation should do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback