PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

2 weeks and noone has viewed the house

Options

Comments

• bobster2
    bobster2 Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 24 April at 10:56AM
    Options
    How much is your house on the market for? And was their full fee going to be when sold? E.g. 1%? Or a fixed amount?
  • Selphie1UK
    Selphie1UK Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    bobster2 said:
    How much is your house on the market for? And was their full fee going to be when sold? E.g. 1%? Or a fixed amount?
    House is on the market for £285000, selling costs 1.2%
  • BarelySentientAI
    Options
    Something else to note, we signed the contract and she left the contract with us and didn't even sign the contract herself is this something she should of done to make this binding?
    I think you're clutching at straws here. The fact that they have marketed the property is evidence of the "contract". So you owe them money if you choose to exit the contract. The amount might be negotiable but I don't think it can be argued that they haven't done their "bit"

It does say on the Property ombudsman code of practice for residential estate agents, that they You must sign and date your terms of agreement before they are given to your client, so I'm not really sure, Ive never disputed owing them money, I have asked for a break down of costs which they refuse to give me and say I owe £495 which is stated in clause 13, but on the contract it states that if you waiver you 14 day cooling off period then you must pay costs has stated in clause 12, it's just very confusing.
    Clause 13 shows the cost to pull out after they have done all the work (apart from completing a sale), which they say is £495.

Clause 12 says that you have to pay for whatever part of that £495 that they have already done.  You asked to pull out 13 days through the 14 day period, so they are saying "we've already done it all, so the full charge applies".

And the code of practice does not overrule contract law.  You might try to use it as a stick to get a discount if you like.
  • bobster2
    Options
    bobster2 said:

So their expected fee would have been £3420 and they want £495 for the work done so far - e.g. photos and marketing. That sounds quite reasonable to me.
  • Selphie1UK
    First Post
    Options
    bobster2 said:
    bobster2 said:

So their expected fee would have been £3420 and they want £495 for the work done so far - e.g. photos and marketing. That sounds quite reasonable to me.
    Well all they have done is write the listing which I had to spell check for them, the agent took the photos while she was valuing the property, the valuation was free, they have miss sized every room in my house some by up to 4 ft, put my living room is 8 ft wide when it's 13, this will have a detrimental effect on my property when I list with someone else, because prospective buyers who may have been interested will have been put off by the small rooms and won't bother to click on the listing again, she's failed to update the EPC after a week, the list goes on, I have had zero correspondence from her since she came to value the house!
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,542 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bobster2 said:
    bobster2 said:

Well all they have done is write the listing which I had to spell check for them, the agent took the photos while she was valuing the property, the valuation was free, they have miss sized every room in my house some by up to 4 ft, put my living room is 8 ft wide when it's 13, this will have a detrimental effect on my property when I list with someone else, because prospective buyers who may have been interested will have been put off by the small rooms and won't bother to click on the listing again, she's failed to update the EPC after a week, the list goes on, I have had zero correspondence from her since she came to value the house!
    So you can use all that, to try and get the cost significantly reduced.
  • bobster2
    edited 24 April at 2:38PM
    Options
    bobster2 said:
    bobster2 said:

Not going to post it here. But I think I've found the listing.
    The photos look good - and you have an unusually shaped lounge so there may be different ways to measure it. They often measure at the narrowest point.
    I think your issues are price (looks high) and not being on Rightmove.
    If you go with another agent - and get new photos - people are going to decide to view based on those. It's never been on Rightmove - so buyers there won't have seen it before.
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I think the best thing for us to do is go with a different estate agent who definitely uses Rightmove!

We just sent an email saying we wanted to leave using the 14 day cooling off period, but apparently we have checked the market property immediately and waiver your 14 day cooling off period, EA is now saying we have to pay a fee of £495, (they responded to this email pretty quickly!!) but we are very confused has it says this payment will be due if you cancel within the 16 weeks period and for the cooling off period it states you will have to pay for any photos taken etc if you waiver your 14 day cooling off period, I will post a picture of the contract for everyone's opinion.
    In clause (point?) 12, at the end of the third sentence, it mentions point 14. As you signed after 13, do you know what that might refer to?

Not sure it will help you, but I wonder if there used to be something else between the clauses we can see, meaning that what is not 13 used to be 14?
  • Selphie1UK
    First Post
    Options
    Wyndham said:
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I think the best thing for us to do is go with a different estate agent who definitely uses Rightmove!

We just sent an email saying we wanted to leave using the 14 day cooling off period, but apparently we have checked the market property immediately and waiver your 14 day cooling off period, EA is now saying we have to pay a fee of £495, (they responded to this email pretty quickly!!) but we are very confused has it says this payment will be due if you cancel within the 16 weeks period and for the cooling off period it states you will have to pay for any photos taken etc if you waiver your 14 day cooling off period, I will post a picture of the contract for everyone's opinion.
    In clause (point?) 12, at the end of the third sentence, it mentions point 14. As you signed after 13, do you know what that might refer to?

Not sure it will help you, but I wonder if there used to be something else between the clauses we can see, meaning that what is not 13 used to be 14?
    Oh that's very interesting, the contract seems to be all over the place and with it refrerring to point 14 and there isn't one is even weirder.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    Options
    You chose to let them into your property and did not raise a complaint when you had to spell check the listing, Either pay then the £495 or pay less if you think this is what their effort worth. Either way it is entirely up to you not those of us here on the forum. Buying and Selling houses are the largest financial transactions most of us will ever undertake and as with all major events needs careful consideration to make sure we are getting value for money all along the process.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback