RWG moving from EE to THREE ??

Options
alanjones60
alanjones60 Posts: 433 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
New bundles just came out,which ,on 1 of them includes 200gb e u roaming.
But to get these bundles,you will be sent a new sim which uses Three network, which will have wifi calling and volte enabeled on them.
I wonder if they will move all customers over time?

Comments

• tinker411
    tinker411 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hmm, just been poking around the RWG site - looks like you'll only be sent a sim that uses Three, and includes VoLTE and WiFi calling, if you order a bundle with unlimited data. If you order a bundle with upto 200GB data you'll remain on EE, which (I believe) currently does not include VoLTE and WiFi calling, which won't be confusing at all I'm sure...

Whether that means a full move over is upcoming I don't know, but since https://www.rwgmobile.wales/rates-plans-eng-per/ says 'RWG Mobile is powered by the Now & Three Mobile networks' it looks like something's going on, unless they plan to use both (as Now use EE)?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    With the price rises at 1Pmobile, I had been considering moving that to RWG.   The lack of wifi calling on RWG had me hesitating.  This uncertainty is more reason to hesitate and stay with 1P
  • alanjones60
    Options
    Lucky for me, iv not needed it,signal fine where i go.
    Im more worried about loosing my free bundle,being as im a low user.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 May at 5:47PM
    Options
    Anyone's guess what network ...

From what I can establish, the "multi" SIM shown above is only on these data-only deals:
    Multi Network SIMs (rwgmobile.wales)

eSIMs are available on £5/month and above tariffs and these are on the 3 network.
    eSIMs (rwgmobile.wales)

The rest I think is EE (minus band 20) 

No idea if you can port RWG-on-EE to RWG-on-Three internally or need to do it via a PAC.

I wonder if this is what RWG have always meant with "wifi calling is coming" and to get it you need to switch over to an eSIM powered by three? 
  • alanjones60
    Options
    saying that, in north wales today,its showing RWG was using band 20
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I  am sure I reported that I now get RWG at home on band 20 now.  Before that change, I did not get any RWG signal at home.  At the time I questioned if this meant VOLTE and wifi calling was coming, but it never has (at least on RWG sims using the EE network)
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Stuart_W said:
    Anyone's guess what network ...

From what I can establish, the "multi" SIM shown above is only on these data-only deals:
    Multi Network SIMs (rwgmobile.wales)

eSIMs are available on £5/month and above tariffs and these are on the 3 network.
    eSIMs (rwgmobile.wales)

The rest I think is EE (minus band 20) 

No idea if you can port RWG-on-EE to RWG-on-Three internally or need to do it via a PAC.

I wonder if this is what RWG have always meant with "wifi calling is coming" and to get it you need to switch over to an eSIM powered by three? 
    Perhaps it is a nowmobile esim with an rwg sticker on top?
    I wonder if you still text nowmobile to get a balance/bundle update.
  • tinker411
    tinker411 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 2 May at 10:47PM
    Options
    Stuart_W said:

<edited for brevity>

Good questions. My take is:

1) probably not in the manner you have in mind, as they appear, as of now, to be differentiating between RWG-on-EE (no VoLTE or WiFi calling) and RWG-on-Three (with VoLTE and WiFi calling) depending on what you sign up for. For example - physical sim with up to 200GB data bundle it's RWG-on-EE, eSIM with the same (£5+ bundles) it's RWG-on-Three, unlimited data bundles it's RWG-on-Three regardless of sim type, and so on. It'll be telling how well (or not) they handle switching between eSIMs and physical sims.

2) Don't know. If it is, then it seems quite a drastic way to go about it, especially as during the time RWG have been saying "WiFi calling is coming" Lycamobile switched completely from O2 to EE and got VoLTE and WiFi calling rolled out, and eSIMs too, making you think that if Lyca could do it why couldn't RWG.

I think the most telling sign will be what parent Now Mobile does - it currently pointedly mentions it runs on EE and has 5G, but (apparently) no VoLTE or WiFi calling as of yet.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback