Passport countersign

Options

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,331 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Why can't your family friend the window cleaner sign it?  Or a neighbour or a other friend?

As far as I can see as long as they've known you for 2 years that's fine.  

Doesn't need to be a GP or anyone in a particular profession.

Who can sign your form and photo

Your countersignatory must:

• have known you (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years
    • be able to identify you, for example they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows you professionally)
    • be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession

"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • tinkers1992
    tinkers1992 Posts: 10 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Because I got to they have to have a certain job before they can countersign my paddi
  • tinkers1992
    First Post
    Options
    Passport  that what I got told 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Brie said:
    Why can't your family friend the window cleaner sign it?  Or a neighbour or a other friend?

As far as I can see as long as they've known you for 2 years that's fine.  

Doesn't need to be a GP or anyone in a particular profession.

Who can sign your form and photo

Your countersignatory must:

• have known you (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years
    • be able to identify you, for example they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows you professionally)
    • be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession
    Perhaps you hadn't noticed, but there's implicitly 'and' between each of those three bullet points, rather than 'or', i.e. each point has to be satisfied, and therefore it does need to be "a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession".
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Because I got to they have to have a certain job before they can countersign my paddi

Passport  that what I got told 

You were told by whom..?
    Have you been told specifically by HMPO that your window cleaner friend does not qualify as countersignator..?
    Does your window cleaner friend have a current British or Irish passport, and can be said to be 'a person of good standing in their community'..?

Evolution, not revolution
  • tinkers1992
    First Post
    Options
    He is a  person of good standing in Thier community.    He  works for someone cleans windows  he has known me 3 years nearly 
  • tinkers1992
    First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure what a person of good standing in Their community is 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,843 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The list includes Manager or HR person of a VAT registered business or the Manager of a limited company. You dont know a single person that has the job title of Manager or above? Local cornershop? Pub? Hairdressers? Barbers? Nailsalon 
  • eDicky
    Options
    I'm not sure what a person of good standing in Their community is 

Being a person of good standing in his community means basically that he's not a deadbeat with a bad or less than ideal reputation among his circle of friends, work associates, local neighbours etc. How to evidence such a thing to the Passport Office for this purpose is rather obscure and presumably not necessary, they could of course check for any criminal record.
    If you haven't been told specifically by HMPO that your window cleaner friend is unsuitable, and he has his own UK or Irish passport (you didn't answer my questions), and he's able to respond intelligibly to the possible enquiry contact from HMPO, go ahead and have him countersign. If not accepted you'll need to find an alternative in order to proceed with your application, which won't be cancelled because of this.
  • eDicky
    Options
    The list includes Manager or HR person of a VAT registered business or the Manager of a limited company. You dont know a single person that has the job title of Manager or above? Local cornershop? Pub? Hairdressers? Barbers? Nailsalon 

Bear in mind that as well as knowing the applicant for >2 years the countersignator must be well aware of their full name, with enough confidence to make their declaration, the purpose being to exclude (or reduce) the possibility that it's a fraudulent passport application.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure