PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

LANDLORD DEDUCTIONMS AT CHECK OUT

Options
PugMum1985
PugMum1985 Posts: 21 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I rent out a house. I installed a new loo seat £35 2yrs ago at start of tenancy. On check out, theres a small chip from the loo seat. Can I seek to deduct £35 from the deposit? Going by TDS, it isnt "betterment" as was new at start of tenancy. And isn't wear & tear. But it doesn't deem it unuseable. 

Comments

• MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    How small? Got a picture?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 April at 4:04PM
    Options
    You can request, tenant may decline to agree.  You and they have the option of the scheme dispute process.

Are there full (both in and out ) inventories, with photos, inside and out, all signed & agreed by tenant showing among other things the seat without chip?

How could you prove it wasn't a manufacturing defect (or something you did)?
  • cashless_wonder
    cashless_wonder Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I had a landlord try to charge me for a replaced toilet seat, when we moved in the seat had a crack clear through it so we pointed it out & it was noted on the inventory. A week of pinched behinds later we replaced it. On move out they tried to charge us for not returning the thunderbox with the orginal move in seat ! 
    DFW NERD# 1175
    Proud Member of Sealed Pot Challenge #5 ~ 1479 cashless_wonder~*DEBT FREE & LOVING IT*~
    :D
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Landlords eh?  
  • PugMum1985
    Options
    thumb nail size but noticeable
  • PugMum1985
    Options
    You can request, tenant may decline to agree.  You and they have the option of the scheme dispute process.

Are there full (both in and out ) inventories, with photos, inside and out, all signed & agreed by tenant showing among other things the seat without chip?

How could you prove it wasn't a manufacturing defect (or something you did)?
    yes it is clearly not there on check in pics/inventory and there on check out pics/check out report
  • PugMum1985
    Options
    I had a landlord try to charge me for a replaced toilet seat, when we moved in the seat had a crack clear through it so we pointed it out & it was noted on the inventory. A week of pinched behinds later we replaced it. On move out they tried to charge us for not returning the thunderbox with the orginal move in seat ! 
    That isn't what has happened here or similar
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    But no picture? Is it bad enough that you will have to replace it, even if you can't deduct the £35?
  • PugMum1985
    Options
    But no picture? Is it bad enough that you will have to replace it, even if you can't deduct the £35?
    I always replace at start of new tenancy
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure