Government Energy Saving Scheme -E-ON Next

Options
Lolly3214
Lolly3214 Posts: 7 Forumite
First Post
What happened if the tenant moved out on 16 January 2023 part way through the month?  
E-ON Next have reversed the £67 back onto the account leaving a balance in debit of £67.00. 
They are demanding a repayment one year on, no notification was received it was outstanding for 12 months. 
Would it be the tenant who held the account who received the 3 payments in October, November or December or the owner? 
I believe it should be the tenant as the contract was directly with E-ON Next & the tenant, or am I wrong. 
Could anyone advise as no one seems to know the answer. 

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 April at 5:35PM
    Options
    The payments were made if you held an electric account on the 1st day of the month, and made to the account holder, in this case the tenant
    But surely the tenant closed the electric account down when they left your property? 
  • Lolly3214
    First Post
    Options
    It seems the payment was reversed and I’m liable. 
    Trying to reach anyone that can help as I’m going around in circles. 
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The tenant would be liable as thy received the £67. Dig your heels in.  Eon are just going fter you because it's easier, or possible because they've tried to gt it from the tenant and failed. You wouldnt be responsible for a tenant's debt, you are not their guarantor.
  • TheElectricCow
    TheElectricCow Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the tenancy ended on the 16th of January then the tenant would be liable for any bills up to that date, and from that point on it would become the owner’s responsibility. Presumably you did inform the energy company that the tenant had moved out and had an account set up in your name at the time? 

The £67 payment belongs to whoever was the account holder on the first day of the month.
    Moo…
  • Lolly3214
    First Post
    Options
    As the landlord and as it is E-ON Next I have account in between tenants. 
    They were informed at the end of the agreement and who the new tenant would be. 
    I have agent who runs the property and E-ON insist the landlord inform s them of any changes, which I did and the account was in credit. 
    Roll on 1 year, a change of tenant has happened and I informed them of the change to find the £67 in debit.
    They have just replied again to me and point blank will remove the £67.00.
    Would someone comment if they think I should seek legal advice or who can I contact Government Energy Department with contact number. 
    It is the principle not the money that is the issue. 
  • Lolly3214
    First Post
    Options
    ^point blank not remove the charge £67.00
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,856 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 12 April at 2:20PM
    Options
    Not a landlord - but I have had younger relatives - as new tenants - see similar demands for freshly raised debts - for previous tenants - months into tenancy. 

Many years ago - when neice had a problem as a tenant (when student) - that ended up as a debt agency threat of court action if not paid - that did apparently get bounced back to landlord as soon as they supplied a copy of the tenancy agreement - starting after the debt due.  
    IIRC he texted her - and told her his solicitor had dealt with it / not to worry.  She kept that text.

I seem to remember doing some google searches at the time - years ago now - and only some energy companies dealt with this nicely form a landlords perspective by default.

Others needed certain proof - asking for a copy of the tenancy agreement - looking for there to be a specific clause making tenants responsible for the relevant utility billls - and proof - and you appear to have it - of notification of end of tenancy / taking the supply back on a specific date etc

Yes - just found something to that effect again on a quick google - but it's from a sort of blog - not any authorative legal site.

Your letting agents may be able to give you a definitive legal answer.

But if not - I'd try and raise it as a complaint along those lines - and see if it goes away.

And given it is a debt raised from 12m plus ago - cannot help but wonder if it would itself be subject to back billing protection if tenant still present anyway - if only just raised.
  • Lolly3214
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you for forwarding that link, that is really helpful. 

I had already contacted citizens advice & send a complaint letter, giving them 8 weeks for a response or a dead lock letter. 

This appears to be a different kind of demand. 
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 April at 12:13PM
    Options
    Qyburn said:
    The tenant would be liable as thy received the £67. 
    And even then tenant wouldnt be liable, if they held the electric account on the 1st of the month they received the £67 payment correctly.

EON have royally cocked up here on two levels.
  • Lolly3214
    First Post
    Options
    I believe you are right but …

What happens next ? I am very confused and I can’t be the only person in this situation. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback