• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Iceweasel said:
    Car_54 said:
    motorguy said:
    Car_54 said:

- if you're banking on selling the old plate to fund the new one, can you really afford to spend that money on what is nothing more than a useless trinket?

There are the model specific ones, like if I had a Ferarri F40 with the reg F40  (I can but dream - some chance)

A neighbour has one of those - an Audi A6, reg A6xxx.

The problem is that when the car dies, and Audi has stopped making  them, the value will plummet.
    I love X5 owners who have the car de-badged to take off the brand and model and then take a private number plate saying X5 xxx (facepalm)

And anyone who removes the rear model badge on a car generally does so because they either prefer the "cleaner" look at the rear or hate washing or polishing round the badges.

In my experience it's because they want to disguise the fact they've got the poverty-spec bottom-of-the-range model. In reality it merely draws attention to the fact.
    With BMWs in Germany it's the exact opposite - they want to hide the fact they have a top of the range model.
    its often the case here too.  Quite handy not having people know what your car has got under the bonnet.

Wife had an A45 Mercedes, debadged.  Nigh on 400BHP but looked like an A180 AMG Line.  Caught quite a few people unawares.
  • Betterthanlife
    Betterthanlife Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 14 April at 1:30PM
    Options
    motorguy said:
    Iceweasel said:
    Car_54 said:
    motorguy said:
    Car_54 said:

- if you're banking on selling the old plate to fund the new one, can you really afford to spend that money on what is nothing more than a useless trinket?

There are the model specific ones, like if I had a Ferarri F40 with the reg F40  (I can but dream - some chance)

The problem is that when the car dies, and Audi has stopped making  them, the value will plummet.
    I love X5 owners who have the car de-badged to take off the brand and model and then take a private number plate saying X5 xxx (facepalm)

And anyone who removes the rear model badge on a car generally does so because they either prefer the "cleaner" look at the rear or hate washing or polishing round the badges.

In my experience it's because they want to disguise the fact they've got the poverty-spec bottom-of-the-range model. In reality it merely draws attention to the fact.
    With BMWs in Germany it's the exact opposite - they want to hide the fact they have a top of the range model.
    its often the case here too.  Quite handy not having people know what your car has got under the bonnet.

Wife had an A45 Mercedes, debadged.  Nigh on 400BHP but looked like an A180 AMG Line.  Caught quite a few people unawares.
    I did it on my BMW 335 for the reason you said, people assume its a 320d and as you say it catches a few people unawares, fun at the lights when you're up against a 'souped up' VW Polo driven by a teenager  :D
  • ontheroad1970
    ontheroad1970 Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    motorguy said:
    Car_54 said:

Now, you're just making that up arent you?

It would be incredibly difficult to remove the brand "BMW" from the rear of an X5 because the roundel is built in to the boot lid opening mechanism.

Not making it up - ok the BMW badge is a big blue and white circle and remains but I have seen the model being removed and X5 XXX as reg on more than one occasion
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

motorguy said:
    Car_54 said:

It would be incredibly difficult to remove the brand "BMW" from the rear of an X5 because the roundel is built in to the boot lid opening mechanism.

Not making it up - ok the BMW badge is a big blue and white circle and remains but I have seen the model being removed and X5 XXX as reg on more than one occasion
    It's an option when ordering whether to have model designation or not.
    The letters and/or numbers might never have been fitted at the factory.
    But if you want to remove BMW badges the easiest and no damage way is to use fishing line.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    motorguy said:
    Car_54 said:

Then for no sinister or bizarre reason other than they perhaps prefer the "clean" look of no model designation or dont want to wash / polish round it.

Quite a lot of projectioning going on on this thread.....
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    IMG_3398jpeg
    How about this one?
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    IMG_3398jpeg
    How about this one?
    Amusing, but most definitely a faked picture.  Firstly, I'm pretty sure the NHS would have a hard time justifying the expense of a private plate.  Secondly, illegal numberplate spacing on a government-owned vehicle?  I think not.

• LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That plates on a Mercedes E - MOT expired Jan 31st 2024
  • Betterthanlife
    Betterthanlife Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    IMG_3398jpeg
    How about this one?
    Amusing, but most definitely a faked picture.  Firstly, I'm pretty sure the NHS would have a hard time justifying the expense of a private plate.  Secondly, illegal numberplate spacing on a government-owned vehicle?  I think not.

Sign says Approved NHS supplier, so they could be sub-contractors? 
  • grahamgoo
    grahamgoo Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    motorguy said:
    Car_54 said:

I saw a BMW recently with an M-sport badge on the back, except it was upside down so was more of a "W" than an "M".  Not sure what the actual spec of the car was.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure