Personal Number Plate question

Options
super_saint
super_saint Posts: 92 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Looking to buy a private number plate for new second hand car ... i assume i can sale my old plate to fund the purchase?

But what happens when i sale the car & want to keep the new private plate?  Do i then need to buy a new plate/ref from DVLA?

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can try to sell the plate on the car you are buying?

Not sure how much you'd get.

When you sell the car, it reverts to the old number - or DVLA will allocate it a new one.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It’s normal to put the old registration on retention, so it can reapplied to the original vehicle when required. Doubt it would have any value. 
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Looking to buy a private number plate for new second hand car ... i assume i can sale my old plate to fund the purchase?
    You can try, of course.  But if it's just a bog-standard plate, I can't see anyone wanting to fork out cash to buy it.  If it's something a little out-of-the-ordinary then you could well find you'll be able to get something for it.
    Probably a more pertinent question - if you're banking on selling the old plate to fund the new one, can you really afford to spend that money on what is nothing more than a useless trinket?
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

- if you're banking on selling the old plate to fund the new one, can you really afford to spend that money on what is nothing more than a useless trinket?
    Useless trinket? Clive I normally like your posts but really??

There are the humerous ones, quite like them. A6E XX    (AGE ??) a blonde in a cabriolet, MR12INCH (self explanitory) etc

There are the model specific ones, like if I had a Ferarri F40 with the reg F40  (I can but dream - some chance)

And of course the vast majority who want to hide the true age of a car so get a nondescript vanity plate.

And no, I don't have one, and have never felt the need. :)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,243 Forumite
    Options

- if you're banking on selling the old plate to fund the new one, can you really afford to spend that money on what is nothing more than a useless trinket?

There are the model specific ones, like if I had a Ferarri F40 with the reg F40  (I can but dream - some chance)

A neighbour has one of those - an Audi A6, reg A6xxx.

The problem is that when the car dies, and Audi has stopped making  them, the value will plummet.
  • super_saint
    super_saint Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The number plate i want to buy is around £300 but but have been quoted £250 for my existing one.

So need to confirm that DVLA will allocate a new plate if i sale car in the future & want to keep new plate?
  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have 3 private number plates. They cost a few £thousand but we get a lot of enjoyment out of having them. There is an unexpected advantage in that you can never forget the number when paying for car parking and I think for us the number plate also deters a few car thiefs as they don't like to be seen to stand out. 
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    Options
    a blonde in a cabriolet, MR12INCH (self explanitory) 
    Nice idea but not a legitimate registration

• Freecall
    Freecall Posts: 1,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
     MR12INCH (self explanitory) etc

I have no idea how much MR12INCH would be worth but I imagine that it is just a little bit more than MR11INCH and a little less than MR13INCH.

:D 
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The number plate i want to buy is around £300 but but have been quoted £250 for my existing one.

So need to confirm that DVLA will allocate a new plate if i sale car in the future & want to keep new plate?

Not a new plate.

When you put your interesting plate on the new(to you) car - the plate it previously had is put aside.

When you are ready to sell the car, you put your interesting number on retention and the car gets it's previous plate back so you sell it with that plate.  Then you can transfer your interesting number onto the next car you buy.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback