Options

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    NBLondon said:
    Or did you mean that you are buying a car with plate AA 11 ABC and also buying plate SS 1234 - so you want to sell AA 11 ABC to offset the cost of SS 1234?   That is possible - you would need to put AA 11 ABC on retention when you transfer SS 1234 onto the car.  Then you can sell AA 11 ABC.

Then when you sell the car in some years time, you put SS 1234 on retention and DVLA will issue a random unused 11 plate to the car.

It costs £80 to put the number on retention so factor that into your costs as well.
    You also need to factor in a new pair of plates every time you change. £35?
    Why?
    Just keep & reuse the old ones.

As to £££ for changing plates. Aviva is FREE, just the same as no extra to change in premium from old plate to new personalised to me plate. 
    Which unless you know me means nothing, just like a normal plate.
    Life in the slow lane
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The number plate i want to buy is around £300 but but have been quoted £250 for my existing one.

So need to confirm that DVLA will allocate a new plate if i sale car in the future & want to keep new plate?
    Almost certainly on the basis of "we will advertised the plate for you and if (it finally) sells, you will get that for it".

It might never sell.  I'd be very surprised if they're offering you that for it.

• motorguy
    Options

And of course the vast majority who want to hide the true age of a car so get a nondescript vanity plate.

And no, I don't have one, and have never felt the need. :)

I would say the vast majority of people who have one have one because its their initials or means something to them, and its a little personal touch on their car, not because they're trying to hide the true age of their car.

And its generally not a "need" its a nice to have.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Car_54 said:

- if you're banking on selling the old plate to fund the new one, can you really afford to spend that money on what is nothing more than a useless trinket?

There are the model specific ones, like if I had a Ferarri F40 with the reg F40  (I can but dream - some chance)

A neighbour has one of those - an Audi A6, reg A6xxx.

The problem is that when the car dies, and Audi has stopped making  them, the value will plummet.
    I love X5 owners who have the car de-badged to take off the brand and model and then take a private number plate saying X5 xxx (facepalm)
    Now, you're just making that up arent you?

It would be incredibly difficult to remove the brand "BMW" from the rear of an X5 because the roundel is built in to the boot lid opening mechanism.

And anyone who removes the rear model badge on a car generally does so because they either prefer the "cleaner" look at the rear or hate washing or polishing round the badges.

• motorguy
    Options
    Car_54 said:

- if you're banking on selling the old plate to fund the new one, can you really afford to spend that money on what is nothing more than a useless trinket?

There are the model specific ones, like if I had a Ferarri F40 with the reg F40  (I can but dream - some chance)

The problem is that when the car dies, and Audi has stopped making  them, the value will plummet.
    Did he buy the plate as an investment though?  And did he pay much for it?

I suspect no to both of those.

Even if Audi stopped making the A6 today, there will still be A6 on the road for the next 15 years.

And the DVLA have about 1,000 A6 registrations for £250, so i cant imagine your neighbour is going to cry in to his rice krispies over values "plummeting" when he likely only paid that in the first place.

https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/search/prefix-number-plates.html?prefix=A&numbers=6&letter1=&letter2=&letter3=&action=results&pricefrom=0&priceto=&prefixmatches=&searched=true&openoption=yes&language=en&super=A6&super_pricefrom=0&super_priceto=
  • motorguy
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    NBLondon said:
    Or did you mean that you are buying a car with plate AA 11 ABC and also buying plate SS 1234 - so you want to sell AA 11 ABC to offset the cost of SS 1234?   That is possible - you would need to put AA 11 ABC on retention when you transfer SS 1234 onto the car.  Then you can sell AA 11 ABC.

Then when you sell the car in some years time, you put SS 1234 on retention and DVLA will issue a random unused 11 plate to the car.

It costs £80 to put the number on retention so factor that into your costs as well.
    You also need to factor in a new pair of plates every time you change. £35?
    Why?
    Just keep & reuse the old ones.

Indeed.

Or get the dealer selling you the car to make the new ones up for you in the deal.  Only costs them a few £s.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    motorguy said:
    Car_54 said:

I love X5 owners who have the car de-badged to take off the brand and model and then take a private number plate saying X5 xxx (facepalm)

And anyone who removes the rear model badge on a car generally does so because they either prefer the "cleaner" look at the rear or hate washing or polishing round the badges.

In my experience it's because they want to disguise the fact they've got the poverty-spec bottom-of-the-range model. In reality it merely draws attention to the fact.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    motorguy said:
    Car_54 said:

In my experience it's because they want to disguise the fact they've got the poverty-spec bottom-of-the-range model. In reality it merely draws attention to the fact.
    With BMWs in Germany it's the exact opposite - they want to hide the fact they have a top of the range model.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    motorguy said:

And of course the vast majority who want to hide the true age of a car so get a nondescript vanity plate.

And no, I don't have one, and have never felt the need. :)

I would say the vast majority of people who have one have one because its their initials or means something to them, and its a little personal touch on their car, not because they're trying to hide the true age of their car.

And its generally not a "need" its a nice to have.
    In our case it's my wife's initials and it hides the fact we have a new car when we change, from jealous types and vandals who like to 'key' smart new cars.
    A hazard where we live.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    motorguy said:
    Car_54 said:

Firstly, with a starting price of £69,000 i dont think any X5 could be described as "poverty spec".

Secondly, i think you need to re-read the quote - "I love X5 owners who have the car de-badged to take off the brand and model and then take a private number plate saying X5 xxx (facepalm)

Thirdly, whilst it was maybe a thing decades ago among company car owners in the 80s, very few manufacturers put a trim level on the backs of cars these days, so no SE or L badge to remove.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure