Eero, how good are they

Options
I have just agreed a new contract with Talk talk.  Last year I had fast fibre 65 installed. The  new package is for fibre150 at the same price as fibre 65 so I accepted the offer as they also gave me a £11 discount for my landline uk calls.  £28 p/month all in.

Talk talk are sending me an Eero to use as my router so I am just asking are they good?  My present Talk talk router is pretty good all over my house so I am wondering whether to keep that or go with the new Eero box.

Anyone have these boxes and are happy with them/can recommend?

Also are they as easy to set up as the C/S person said they are?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Get on the TalkTalk forums and you'll see they aren't that great for WiFi coverage compared to TT Hubs.

Eeros are designed to work as a mesh system to provide area coverage and you need the app to set it up.

I believe they only have 2 ethernet ports and if you get a digital voice service the adapter for that uses one leaving one free.

WiFi channel selection is automated which can be a pain apparently.

A lot of customers prefer the Sagemcon HUB2 which has a built in digital voice adapter, 4 free ethernet ports and decent WiFi coverage.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Help-with-your-service/ct-p/help

• bjbyorkshire
    bjbyorkshire Posts: 522 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks, that was quick.  I am not very tech savvy but I read up last night that these Euro’s are not brilliant and I may well need a second one to get the wi fi upstairs.  The talk talk router I have, not sure of its name, is less than a year old and sends wi fi all over the h Ouse so can I adjust use that and wait for Talk Talk to up my speed on the go live date.

I appreciate your advice re the Sagemcom Hub but would you think that using what I already have is an option.  I do have digital voice and it is connected and works ok.
    Thanks again.

• Ayr_Rage
    Options
    Anecdotally, if you have a HUB that incorporates digital voice and your handset plugs into a port on the back I'd stick with that and keep the Eero as a spare.

I am pretty sure they work with Fibre 150 speeds.

The TT supplied Eeros are locked to their network so don't be tempted to flog it.

• bjbyorkshire
    Options
    Thanks, my thoughts exactly.  Why change if it still will work.  I just wondered whether I would be able to achieve the higher speed with the original router.  No I wouldn't flog it, lol.

Ive message Chris on the talk talk forum to see if he says it is doable. 
  • Ayr_Rage
    Options
    Regarding the TT forum, unsolicited DMs to staff or forum members are frowned upon and unlikely to get a reply.

If you have an ongoing dialogue with someone then they'll answer.

If you have a query best to start a topic in the Full Fibre board simply asking "Will my XXX router work with Fibre 150", just make sure you include the full model number from the back of the router.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April at 12:10PM
    Options
    Are you upgrading to FTTP ( are they saying you need an engineer appointment ) ? , if it’s FTTP ( full fibre to the premises ) then your current router may not work with FTTP ( if it doesn’t have a WAN port ) so you may have no choice but to use the new router as it will have the ability to connect to the FTTP ONT .

150Mb broadband cannot be provided by FTTC , ( fibre to the cabinet ) so presumably you will already be on Gfast or will need FTTP to get that speed.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Options
    @iniltous the OP  stated at 1127 they have Digital Voice and it is working !
  • bjbyorkshire
    Options
    Hi, I have just been speaking to a person at Talk talk and wasted an hour of my life I will never get back.

I had fast fibre installed to the house last year and have Fibre 65 installed.  My contact ends mid May so negotiated a decent deal to go to fibre 150.  They are sending out an Eero via Yodel.  I wondered if my existing router, which works fine with Fibre 65 would still work with Fibre 150 and be more reliable.

customer services at talk talk were not very helpful.  They are working from a script and getting an answer to a specific question is way more than they can do.

Thanks for your help 
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April at 1:19PM
    Options
    DV , hate that many  ISP’s use ‘DV’ to describe their IP phone service , DV is BT proprietary version, other ISP can call their version whatever they want , needlessly confusing to call it what BT call theirs.
    TT IP works on FTTC as well as FTTP , but as the OP has confirmed they have FTTP it’s moot , as far as going from 65Mb ( probably really 80Mb ) to 150Mb ,  the existing router will work as it does now , it’s a TT  administrative change, a few strokes on a keyboard to change the profile ,so keep the new router in a draw as a spare if you would prefer to use the existing one 
  • bjbyorkshire
    Options
    Iniltous, thanks, that was what I hoped to hear.  

The router I have been using for approx 1 year (I cant see a model number on the back unfortunately). Has all the ports and an Openreach engineer installed it at the time he installed full fibre so I think it should be compatible with Fibre 65 and Fibre 150.  

I will just await the go live date and see if the connection works.  I will have the Eero as you say, as back up in case but from reading up I see that Eero are not very reliable whereas the router I have now has been very reliable.  

Son works from home so I am trying stop his work being disrupted by the change over.

Wish me luck as a non technical oldie.
    Thanks for your help,

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport