BT Overcharging? And Switching from FTTC to FTTP

Options
TL;DR
Why is she being charged £52.91 for internet currently and £59.17 next month when Full Fibre 100 for example is £34.99 (With phone) or £29.99 (without.)?

(Since they are doing away with landlines, my mother called BT to make a move to full-fibre.

I checked her bills out of curiosity and to see what package she will be moved to.)

I am unsure what tier she's on but the speeds are:
74.70Mbps UP / 18.69Mbps DOWN.

She does not use the landline. (She wasn't aware she didn't need a phone with full fibre. I assume they will be sending one out but I will get that cancelled. £5 cheaper without the use of "phone/VOIP?)

Her current and estimated monthly bills seem excessive.
Her plan is listed as 'Fibre with Halo 1'. She has a SIM with them.

I can see she is often charged for 'premium SMS'. I assume that's some non-standard text message like MMS, etc. as mentioned here: __bt.com/help/account-and-billing/i-m-being-charged-for-texts-when-i-thought-they-were-included-in

I will have to look at her phone.

Why is she being charged £52.91 for internet currently and £59.17 next month when Full Fibre 100 for example is £34.99 (With phone) or £29.99 (without.)?

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If someone allows , perhaps intentionally, a minimum term contract to expire then they will pay more that necessary as the contract moves onto an outside minimum term basis , with mainstream providers this costs more than recontracting , but the customer has the flexibility to change provider with a 30 day notice to quit , instead of having to pay early termination charges based on the remaining months of a minimum term, it also appears that the customer is on a legacy package, which  tend to be uncompetitive compared to current packages .

The obvious thing to do is call and negotiate a new deal , at a minimum the price offered for ‘new’ customers is the starting point , that is unless the bill payer is aware they are paying more than necessary but feels this extra cost is worth it to keep their options open …BT as do most ISP let customers know when they are approaching the end of a minimum term , to help them realise that they will start paying more , they also send information about current deals etc that may be better value , what they can’t do though is arbitrarily move customers onto packages without consent, so it may seem harsh , but it’s ultimately the customer that needs to make the decision… BT do call customers to discuss better deals , but obviously they can’t make people  answer the phone .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback