Girls Holiday - Should I pay?

Options
Hi, I found this whilst browsing for advice so I thought I would try it out. :)

So to begin, myself and three other girls have booked a package holiday through a travel agency. The holiday is booked for mid July this year, so only roughly four months away. the holiday we found was fairly on the cheaper side as we are students, equating to £1,684.37 divided equally at £561.45.

The first installment payment has been paid by all three of us at an amount of £146.06 each. leaving the remaining total of the holiday per person at £415.39 left due from each of us. We also paid a £30 deposit each, leaving £
385.39 each, left to pay in total. 

We have now unfortunately had a rather large falling out and they have not spoken to myself for two weeks. This issue was not regarding the holiday we booked together. During this falling out, I was told I am no longer welcome to come on this holiday and that I should not attend. I did not pull out. 

I have now completed some research on the travel agency and in their Ts &Cs, the lead passenger, one of the other girls, would have to remove me from the booking but there would be an administrators fee of £30 and the liability of being charged the full cost of my flights which equate too £215.71. I am not able to pay this at all as I do not earn hardly anything from my part time job alongside student fees and who would want to pay for a holiday that they were told not to come on? But they are both in a better financial situation than me. I would have to try and loan the money.

I am not expecting a refund from any payments I have made like the deposit or first installment, I just don't want to go on a holiday where i have been told not to come and made to feel unwelcome and i most definitely don't want to pay anymore towards it. Now my question is, who should be liable for the fees that will incur by removing myself from the booking? As I am not the lead passenger, how would i go about seeking advice from the travel agency as I do not have access to the booking details? What would you do in my situation?

Just seeking some advice before the next installment is due. Thanks, have a nice day. :)

Comments

• CouldntResist
    CouldntResist Posts: 79 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 April at 11:27AM
    Options
    Is the lead passenger on the hook to pay the balances?

[As an aside, you presumably are able to pay the balance from part-time earnings because if you hadn't fallen out you would be going....]
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,126 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd say it's up to the lead passenger who booked the holiday to know what's on the T&Cs.  If she doesn't do anything she'll find she's liable for the full cost of 4 holidays not just the 3 that are being used.  Not sure who started the issue that made you 4 fall out but the others are the ones (according to you) that have said you are not welcome so it's sounds like it's their decision and so should be their cost.  If you want to be nice you could warn them that they'll have extra to pay.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • vanessaxw
    vanessaxw Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I'm pretty sure, it mentioned in the Ts &Cs that the lead passenger is liable for the full payment of the holiday as she has signed and agreed to those terms on behalf of the other passengers. 
  • vanessaxw
    First Post
    Options
    Brie said:
    I'd say it's up to the lead passenger who booked the holiday to know what's on the T&Cs.  If she doesn't do anything she'll find she's liable for the full cost of 4 holidays not just the 3 that are being used.  Not sure who started the issue that made you 4 fall out but the others are the ones (according to you) that have said you are not welcome so it's sounds like it's their decision and so should be their cost.  If you want to be nice you could warn them that they'll have extra to pay.
    Thanks for the advice. :)
  • CouldntResist
    CouldntResist Posts: 79 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    vanessaxw said:
    I'm pretty sure, it mentioned in the Ts &Cs that the lead passenger is liable for the full payment of the holiday as she has signed and agreed to those terms on behalf of the other passengers. 
    Then let them pay all costs :)
  • vanessaxw
    First Post
    Options

[As an aside, you presumably are able to pay the balance from part-time earnings because if you hadn't fallen out you would be going....]
    I would if I was able too which is why i don't expect any refunds because I made those payments, but I am barely affording the installments as is, never mind paying just over £200 for me to be removed from a holiday which wasn't my choice, leaving myself with no disposable income to afford any other payments, but at the time i was happy with that as I had a holiday with my friends too look forward too. Now the circumstances have changed and I've ben told not to come, of course I don't want to pay anything else towards it as it has been their decision to exclude me. :)
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    vanessaxw said:
    Hi, I found this whilst browsing for advice so I thought I would try it out. :)

So to begin, myself and three other girls have booked a package holiday through a travel agency. The holiday is booked for mid July this year, so only roughly four months away. the holiday we found was fairly on the cheaper side as we are students, equating to £1,684.37 divided equally at £561.45.

The first installment payment has been paid by all three of us at an amount of £146.06 each. leaving the remaining total of the holiday per person at £415.39 left due from each of us. We also paid a £30 deposit each, leaving £385.39 each, left to pay in total. 

We have now unfortunately had a rather large falling out and they have not spoken to myself for two weeks. This issue was not regarding the holiday we booked together. During this falling out, I was told I am no longer welcome to come on this holiday and that I should not attend. I did not pull out. 

I have now completed some research on the travel agency and in their Ts &Cs, the lead passenger, one of the other girls, would have to remove me from the booking but there would be an administrators fee of £30 and the liability of being charged the full cost of my flights which equate too £215.71. I am not able to pay this at all as I do not earn hardly anything from my part time job alongside student fees and who would want to pay for a holiday that they were told not to come on? But they are both in a better financial situation than me. I would have to try and loan the money.

I am not expecting a refund from any payments I have made like the deposit or first installment, I just don't want to go on a holiday where i have been told not to come and made to feel unwelcome and i most definitely don't want to pay anymore towards it. Now my question is, who should be liable for the fees that will incur by removing myself from the booking? As I am not the lead passenger, how would i go about seeking advice from the travel agency as I do not have access to the booking details? What would you do in my situation?

Just seeking some advice before the next installment is due. Thanks, have a nice day. :)
    Firstly, there is something wrong with the arithmetic in the first paragraph.If the total cost of a holiday for four people is £1,684.37 then each person's share will be rather less than £561.45. So I do wonder what other details are wrong.

Anyway, it is usually possible to change the name on a holiday booking for a modest additional fee. If your former friends can find someone to take your place and pay the remaining balance for your holiday, that is likely to be the most cost-effective solution. 

The person who is legally liable to make all payments to the travel agent is the 'lead passenger', not you. While you did have an agreement to pay your share of the cost to your friend, since she has said that she does not want you to come on the holiday she cannot expect you to pay all the same. (It would of course be different if you decided you did not want to go on the holiday.) 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    £1,684.37 divided equally at £561.45

Divided by 4?  Not when I went to school. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    vanessaxw said:
    Now my question is, who should be liable for the fees that will incur by removing myself from the booking? As I am not the lead passenger, how would i go about seeking advice from the travel agency as I do not have access to the booking details? What would you do in my situation?

This recent thread covered much the same ground, so you may find it informative:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6516841/holiday-canceled
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sheramber said:
    £1,684.37 divided equally at £561.45

Divided by 4?  Not when I went to school. 
    I do wonder whether university admission requirements are quite as stringent now as they used to be. Bet this post is from an Accountancy and Finance student!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback