Need to Update hi-fi sound system

Options

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I used to be a hi-fi snob. I still use my very expensive Quad system playing through various Castle and Mission speakers wired around the house, but the source now is always my phone! All my music, vinyl, cd & cassette, has been downloaded to the phone.
    ..and do you simply bluetooth it via your speakers?
    Is that not inconvenient? I use my phone on/off most of the day for texting, appointments, shopping, banking....
    Forgive my ignorance - What if you get a call when the music is playing?
    I bluetooth via a little box to the Quad, then speakers around the house are all wired in. Yes if the phone rings the music mutes but no one ever phones me! I don't listen to music all day so it works for me.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RumRat said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Do you get a full version of Alexa with that, @RumRat
    Well it does everything I ask of it....Music, Radio, lights, plugs, Thermostat etc etc. I also have Google Home and use them both equally and not found it to be wanting.
    I tried Sonos and that speaker only had a partial alexa implementation . 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    RumRat said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Do you get a full version of Alexa with that, @RumRat
    Well it does everything I ask of it....Music, Radio, lights, plugs, Thermostat etc etc. I also have Google Home and use them both equally and not found it to be wanting.
    I tried Sonos and that speaker only had a partial alexa implementation . 
    Not sure what 'Partial' implementation is....I gave up on Sonos some time ago for different reasons.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 April at 1:37PM
    Options
    Have you managed to recover the music from the iPod?

No - The pod has "died". I have an old laptop I am going to have a go plugging it into that next week, but I don't hold out much hope.
    Yippee
    I plugged the ipod into the old laptop this morning & with a lot of You Tube help managed to raise a connection! 

At least I can maybe retrieve some of our music from it? 
    Problem is I stored all my old CDs/LPs in a playlist (all 1400 tunes! - I've looked & they are in AAC format (not sure why?) - not MP3 ) on the iPOD

Now how can I get these onto, say, a USB - I use android not Apple - (I dont want them clogging up space on my phone) so I can play them on a new device ?

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

No - The pod has "died". I have an old laptop I am going to have a go plugging it into that next week, but I don't hold out much hope.
    Yippee
    I plugged the ipod into the old laptop this morning & with a lot of You Tube help managed to raise a connection! 

Problem is I stored all my old CDs/LPs in a playlist (all 1400 tunes! - I've looked & they are in AAC format (not sure why?) - not MP3 ) on the iPOD

Now how can I get these onto, say, a USB - I use android not Apple - (I dont want them clogging up space on my phone) so I can play them on a new device ?

Could you perhaps get an iPhone (an inexpensive one) to replace the iPod?
  • onesixfive
    Options
    Emmia said:

Yippee

I'd thought about even getting a 2nd hand iPod, but with all the hassle of getting the music off the old one I've scrapped that idea.
    Anyway - I've finally retrieved the music now from the old iPod :) so I'm halfway there, just need to decide what to buy to transmit the music through
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80696626#Comment_80696626
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Emmia said:

Yippee

I'd thought about even getting a 2nd hand iPod, but with all the hassle of getting the music off the old one I've scrapped that idea.
    Anyway - I've finally retrieved the music now from the old iPod :) so I'm halfway there, just need to decide what to buy to transmit the music through
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80696626#Comment_80696626
    Are you making a separate copy and storing in the cloud or a removable thumb drive (for future recovery) as well as seeking another solution?
  • onesixfive
    Options
    Emmia said:
    Emmia said:

Yippee

Are you making a separate copy and storing in the cloud or a removable thumb drive (for future recovery) as well as seeking another solution?
    Absolutely !
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,425 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We'd like to update our sound system. But It's no longer so simple as going to buy a new record deck or cd player.

What do we buy that isn't going to be out of date in a couple of years?

Is everything reliant on monthly subscription to Spotify or similar since we no longer have cd's or LPs
    For some it is still as simple as going buying a new amp, speakers, turntable and CD player. Many have bluetooth built in or your can buy a dedicated streaming device. It all depends on what you want and what your budget is. 

Our lounge has the big speakers, turntable, Arcam amp and the bluray player acts as the CD player on the rare occasion of wanting one. The amp has Tidal and Spotify connect so it can stream the music from those services directly. 

In my study I've a pair of "wireless" Kef LX speakers on my desk which again can stream directly, the computer connects to them etc.

Then the Mrs has a tiny portable speaker, doesn't sound great but it fits in a pocket and battery life is good 

Things haven't been progressing two fast these days... Dolby Atmos was the last exciting new sound release (on the movie side more than music but some music is now mixed in it too) and that was 2016. Bluetooth and WiFi formats keep slowly moving forward but everything is backwards compatible by a long way. A new hifi may not last you 30 years but its not going to be out of date next year; having separates naturally means you can just replace or add a new streamer in X years time when new services launch or old service have fallen from favour. 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,386 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 April at 9:38PM
    Options
    We'd like to update our sound system. But It's no longer so simple as going to buy a new record deck or cd player.

What do we buy that isn't going to be out of date in a couple of years?

Is everything reliant on monthly subscription to Spotify or similar since we no longer have cd's or LPs

Our lounge has the big speakers, turntable, Arcam amp and the bluray player acts as the CD player on the rare occasion of wanting one. The amp has Tidal and Spotify connect so it can stream the music from those services directly. 

In my study I've a pair of "wireless" Kef LX speakers on my desk which again can stream directly, the computer connects to them etc.

Very nice. What turntable do you use? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport