Need to Update hi-fi sound system

Options
onesixfive
onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Love our background music and we had been using an ipod loaded with our favourites in an old Bose sound Dock in the lounge.....however the ipod has finally died a death.

Not total technophobes we occasionally use Bose Dock with a Bluetooth link to spotify etc via samsung phone.

We have an amazon echo ball. Tend to use that elsewhere in house for radio.
We've got rid of our LP  & CD collections. But would prefer something better/nicer for our main music source.

We'd like to update our sound system. But It's no longer so simple as going to buy a new record deck or cd player.

What do we buy that isn't going to be out of date in a couple of years?

Is everything reliant on monthly subscription to Spotify or similar since we no longer have cd's or LPs

Advice or ideas please?

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nothing can beat the warmth and depth of vinyl. No regrets in turning the clock back. 
  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 41 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    >We have an amazon echo ball<

Try an 
    Echo Studio with Prime Music subscription.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 March at 6:19PM
    Options
    If you are used to Alexa stuff and Spotify I would recommend one of these... C5A Multi-room Speaker with Amazon Alexa - WiFi & Bluetooth (audiopro.com)
    The sound is excellent and room filling and you can connect virtually anything to it. I have a record deck connected to play the vinyl collection. Most of the time I use Spotify wirelessly though, all CD's were consigned to the attic years ago and the vinyl collection
    is more vintage stuff than newer sounds.
    Also the added advantage of it being Alexa enabled to use for all the home stuff. You can also use it multi-room connected to others.
    You should be future proofed for a good while as an added bonus.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you get a full version of Alexa with that, @RumRat
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,154 Forumite
    Options
    I used to be a hi-fi snob. I still use my very expensive Quad system playing through various Castle and Mission speakers wired around the house, but the source now is always my phone! All my music, vinyl, cd & cassette, has been downloaded to the phone.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you managed to recover the music from the iPod?

I stream radio from around the world using TuneIn app when in the car and my Internet radio at home allows me to get stations from most places.   I don't pay any subscription.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    edited 30 March at 9:52PM
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    Do you get a full version of Alexa with that, @RumRat
    Well it does everything I ask of it....Music, Radio, lights, plugs, Thermostat etc etc. I also have Google Home and use them both equally and not found it to be wanting.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • onesixfive
    Options
    Have you managed to recover the music from the iPod?

No - The pod has "died". I have an old laptop I am going to have a go plugging it into that next week, but I don't hold out much hope.
  • onesixfive
    Options
    I used to be a hi-fi snob. I still use my very expensive Quad system playing through various Castle and Mission speakers wired around the house, but the source now is always my phone! All my music, vinyl, cd & cassette, has been downloaded to the phone.
    ..and do you simply bluetooth it via your speakers?
    Is that not inconvenient? I use my phone on/off most of the day for texting, appointments, shopping, banking....
    Forgive my ignorance - What if you get a call when the music is playing?
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    ..and do you simply bluetooth it via your speakers?
    Is that not inconvenient? I use my phone on/off most of the day for texting, appointments, shopping, banking....
    Forgive my ignorance - What if you get a call when the music is playing?
    Music tends to cut out when a call comes through if you stream from a phone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback