Half Board without Drinks

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Planning for a half board and wondering if I'm going to find it difficult/awkward if I decline having drinks with my meals as a way to save money?!...I know it's a choice, just wondering how awkward/difficult it would be if anyone has any experience of this?!
    I agree with earlier posters that there shouldn't be any reason for awkwardness or difficulty, but if you're seeking others' experiences then it would probably be helpful to say where you're going?  For example, you might find the atmosphere varies depending on whether you're in a cheap'n'cheerful bucket-and-spade mega hotel on the Costa del Sol or rocking up at a snooty Michelin-starred restaurant in the Burj al Arab, although either way you shouldn't be pressured to buy....
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Half board does not always include drinks - some hotels do and some do not.
    In some hotels the pumps are self service, rather than waiters serving drinks.

We often go full board and have never had an issue with saying 'no thank you' to waiters. 
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I nearly always ask for tap water when I eat out, because:
    1. I don't want alcohol,
    2. I don't like drinks with artificial sweeteners,
    3. I don't want the hassle of going through the establishment's available drinks list to ascertain which ones remain after #1 & #2 are applied.

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    prowla said:
    I nearly always ask for tap water when I eat out, because:
    1. I don't want alcohol,
    2. I don't like drinks with artificial sweeteners,
    3. I don't want the hassle of going through the establishment's available drinks list to ascertain which ones remain after #1 & #2 are applied.

In many places in the world tap water isn't drinkable so if you want water it's buying a bottle whereas the OP wants to save money. 
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,650 Forumite
    Options
    I was given half board in a hotel in Majorca (hotel had messed up on our booking) and drinks were provided at breakfast and dinner (alcoholic if you wanted it). That might not apply everywhere but I agree, OP is maybe over thinking this.

Surely half board is just 2 from 3 meals , usually no lunch rather than no drinks. 🤔
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maman said:
    I was given half board in a hotel in Majorca (hotel had messed up on our booking) and drinks were provided at breakfast and dinner (alcoholic if you wanted it). That might not apply everywhere but I agree, OP is maybe over thinking this.

Surely half board is just 2 from 3 meals , usually no lunch rather than no drinks. 🤔
    Sounds as if your hotel was making amends for messing you around ?
    The only time I've come across hotels supplying drinks at dinner was when a large party of Spanish pensioners were on their free state provided holiday in Mallorca.
    In our ignorance on arrival night we sat down at the first available table unaware that the wine and bottled water was only for these guests - we didn't get one of these table again !!!

• Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just say "no thank you" or if you want the simplest option, "water thank you". You're paying for your holiday and for your half board - you are not under any further obligation!
  • iwant2asave
    iwant2asave Posts: 121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all 😁... Appreciate the answers and I agree I was overthinking it!
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    While it is understandable wanting to save money be wary of the dehydrating effects of air-conditioning and sun, it is important to keep hydrated.
    Push the boat out, order a bottle of water with your meal and enjoy your holiday.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,650 Forumite
    Options
    maman said:

Sounds as if your hotel was making amends for messing you around ?
    The only time I've come across hotels supplying drinks at dinner was when a large party of Spanish pensioners were on their free state provided holiday in Mallorca.
    In our ignorance on arrival night we sat down at the first available table unaware that the wine and bottled water was only for these guests - we didn't get one of these table again !!!

I was very lucky then and I'm certainly not a Spanish pensioner! 🤣

I thought that all AI included drinks. I'd assumed as the hotel did full and half board  that the only difference was that I didn't get lunch.

Being Spanish, the local red was very good too! 😁
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure