Half Board without Drinks

Options
Hi,

Planning for a half board and wondering if I'm going to find it difficult/awkward if I decline having drinks with my meals as a way to save money?!...I know it's a choice, just wondering how awkward/difficult it would be if anyone has any experience of this?!

Thanks,

Sam

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,774 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 March at 10:05PM
    Options
    I’d probably get a bottle of water, but that’s because I don’t want to eat food without anything to drink. 
    It certainly shouldn’t be difficult – you are the customer after all. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you think it will be difficult?

If you don't want anything alcoholic to drink then no need to order and if offered then decline.

Drinking alcohol is, not yet, compulsory. ;)
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If it's all an inclusive offer don't expect people to mess around repricing the package. 
  • iwant2asave
    iwant2asave Posts: 119 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you think it will be difficult?

If you don't want anything alcoholic to drink then no need to order and if offered then decline.

Drinking alcohol is, not yet, compulsory. ;)
    I was thinking it might be awkward/difficult as it might be "expected" that all customers would "buy" at least some drinks with their meals.  And because it is "expected" then I would be looked down on somewhat.  Maybe I'm imagining it.
  • iwant2asave
    iwant2asave Posts: 119 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    If it's all an inclusive offer don't expect people to mess around repricing the package. 
    Sorry, I don't quite follow?
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It does depend on the hotel. Many half board buffet style restaurants just have water dispensers and very few waiting staff to even bother taking an order for drinks these days.
    Other places obviously try to milk you for buying drinks, so you may feel pressured to buy at least a bottle of water. But you could always just take your own bottle of water in with you, I doubt many places would kick up a fuss.

• NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 March at 9:44AM
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    The OP stated half board.
    There is no compunction to buy drinks at evening meal, although it would be unusual - still or sparkling bottled water only costs a few Euros. Hotels don't provide tap water in my very long experience.

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Many people don't drink alcohol so there is no likelihood of 'being looked down on'.
  • JosephK
    JosephK Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We don't drink alcohol. Never had a problem whether we do or do not buy drinks
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,106 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 March at 2:02PM
    Options
    The OP hasn't specifically mentioned alcohol.  It sounds as if the OP is concerned that when they go for dinner at the hotel, the staff will ask if they'd like a drink with their meal (be that alcohol or soft drinks) and they feel there might be pressure to order?

I think you may be overthinking it, if the staff ask if you'd like to order a drink I'm sure a polite "no thank you" will suffice and they'll carry on with their job without fuss.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback