Need emergency money

Options
Can anybody please help with where I can get an emergency money? I am on UC and PIP in the not able to work group for UC. Right now, I have less than £20 and won't get my PIP for nearly 2 weeks. There isn't anything I can sell, don't have a laptop or anything like a ps etc. My parents both passed away and estranged from my sibling and other family, got 1 uncle I speak to but he has a lot of health worries with his wife and himself, so don't want to stress him out. If there's any places to contact for emergency and anybody could advise please I'd be very appreciative.

Comments

• Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,769 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 March at 3:03AM
    Options
    My suggestion is for food and essentials contact local social media groups who have members prepared to help or give links to community larders etc. Cold hard cash might be more difficult but hopefully you can get temporary help and sort your budgeting out. Unfortunately many are struggling but as a result there are plenty groups and organisations that can help probably local to you. But I do suggest longer term you really are able to budget in a way that prevents a crisis like this again.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • kkkklinky
    kkkklinky Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    The only thing I can advise is a food bank or the Household Support Fund by the local council but most councils only provide shopping and energy vouchers(a lot of councils have already spent the funding, so are not giving help until later in the year), people on social media who ask for advice about cash, are perceived as trying to get a cash handout from others under the guise of "advice" so unlikely anyone on "the internet" will give you money due to the prevalence of scammers. Like previous post stated you will have to find a way of budgeting money correctly to prevent this in the future.
  • Driftingleaf
    Driftingleaf Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Firstly, I didn't come here to be judged by anybody and a cash crisis can occur to anybody. Things are harder now as we all know especially on benefits and try "budgeting" on that if neither of you are on them. I wasn't asking for money, it was the only wording I could think to describe the situation. Heaven forbid either of you get in this situation. I've never gone on social media either asking for money. These replies were not great and the judgy tones either.
  • Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,940 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A number of councils offer emergency support in the form of crisis support under local welfare provision schemes that were set up a number of years ago following the ending of Social Fund Crisis Loans which were paid by the DWP.
    You would need to contact your local council to find out if it still offers crisis support and to apply for help if it does. Most councils that still offer this type of help only pay for emergency support such as gas and electricity topups (for prepayment meters) and food. Any money you have available to you is deducted from any help you can get.
    If you live in Scotland and possibly Wales then these schemes are offered on a national criteria basis with the application being made through your local council.
  • Purplefoxlass
    Purplefoxlass Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Firstly, I didn't come here to be judged by anybody and a cash crisis can occur to anybody. Things are harder now as we all know especially on benefits and try "budgeting" on that if neither of you are on them. I wasn't asking for money, it was the only wording I could think to describe the situation. Heaven forbid either of you get in this situation. I've never gone on social media either asking for money. These replies were not great and the judgy tones either.
    It is a bit cheeky, coming online begging for money, although saying that there is a girl on X who constantly begged for money from her followers, and the next minute she was telling everyone wha she had bought as soon as her PIP landed.

As others have said, you need to budget better, it can be done. As a single person in receipt of ESA and PIP, I manage, and have no family to ask for help, and I would not ask friends either. 
  • kkkklinky
    kkkklinky Posts: 58 Forumite
    edited 29 March at 5:18AM
    Options
    I wasn't being judgemental, your post asked for "emergency cash", I gave advice about other services and advised that asking for advice about cash is seen negatively on social media(again due to scammers making posts under the guise of advice to get money from random strangers on social media) and due to previous posts about money issues I advised budgeting.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback