PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Custard powder?

Options
I don’t eat custard very often but do like to keep a tin in for the occasional pudding.
I’ve got Asda own brand at the moment and it’s got quite an artificial taste to it. Wondering what anyone can recommend as having a half decent test, and whether this is one of the times when a decent brand is actually worth the money? 
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

Comments

• Green_hopeful
    Green_hopeful Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We tried Waitrose own brand during lockdown and it was quite horrible. We wait for Ambrosia to go on deal. It’s still very expensive but if you are only buying it occasionally I suppose it is worth it. 
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I remember mortgage free in three did a home made custard powder, which got really good reviews. Cant find it now.

My favourite custard is aldi's ready made in a carton. It's also one of the cheapest.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not so bothered about cost and I’d rather use the powder so I can choose how thick or thin, I want it to be. Whatever tastes best.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,231 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I always use Birds custard powder. Lasts for ages, can make as much/little as I want, much cheaper than ready-made even if it’s a bit more than own-brand powder

Likewise, if only occasional use no point in penny-pinching IMO
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bouicca21 said:
    I just use cornflour and vanilla flavoured sugar.  (I used to add yellow food colouring in order to fool my ex that is was genuine packet custard, but I don’t bother with that now.)
    I didn't even know vanilla flavoured sugar was a thing. You live and learn. 

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 March at 1:13PM
    Options
    elsien said:
    I didn't even know vanilla flavoured sugar was a thing. You live and learn. 
    Vanilla flavoured sugar - buy a vanilla pod or two if you want a stronger flavour, slit it open, cut into pieces and bury in a jar of caster sugar.  Takes about a month for the sugar to absorb the flavour. Use whenever a recipe calls for sugar and vanilla extract.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback