Open reach charges

Options
Hi
I have just realised that my ISP has billed me this month for a BT Openreach engineers visit. This was back in April 2022. BT have been out a few times and sorted faults and the report says I refused work to be done. I have never refused any work to be done. Can they do this.

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March at 2:48PM
    Options
    No such company as BT Openreach ,BT haven’t been out to your address because they don’t look after the network, Openreach do
    , if BT are your supplier and have raised a charge because Openreach have indicated to BT that a chargable event took place , things like a failed appointment because the customer wasn’t at home , or a repair on something Openreach were not responsible for ( like an faulty  socket causing the line to have issues ) or damage that isn’t considered fair wear and tear ( like spilled liquid into a socket  or chopped cables within the customer curtilage ) then charges are made.

Any charge BT make for this can be challenged , basically they go back to Openreach and ask to  check the documentation, what did the engineer find that made charges appropriate, but these charges are not normally raised 2 years after the event , it usually the next billing period after the visit.
    It isn’t clear if BT are your provider or you equate BT and Openreach as the same entity, when they are not  , irrespective you dispute the charge , they may waive it , or they may ( after consulting Openreach ) conclude that the visit was a chargable one , its then either pay , or don’t , with the associated potential black mark via credit rating agencies if you have a default payment against you.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I have just realised that my ISP has billed me this month for a BT Openreach engineers visit. This was back in April 2022. BT have been out a few times and sorted faults and the report says I refused work to be done. I have never refused any work to be done. Can they do this.

So why has it taken you nearly two years to notice?

If BT is your internet provider then you phone them up, tell them there's a fault and they'll tell Openreach to go and fix it.  If the fault is caused by something they're not responsible for (the usual one is a fault on your side of the master socket) then they can fix it, but they will charge for it.
  • spillage74
    spillage74 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    I am with eclipse internet and they have just billed me for this openreach call out from 2022. Seems a bit long to wait to then charge me. Should I go back to my isp and challenge this charge.
    The notes my ips provided state that when the visit was made I refused a repair but this would not have been the case.

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March at 9:02PM
    Options
    Obviously nothing at all to do with BT then , your only port of call is with Eclipse as your ISP and ask them what the charge is for , they will either A.  waive the fee , or B.  insist you pay , 
    They  could ask OR to check ( although 2 years may be too long ago as far as records are concerned) , and depending if the check finds OR  made a mistake, it’s still either A ( although it’s not really waiving the fee as there wouldn’t be a fee to waive ) or B .
    FYI , the figure Openreach invoice Eclipse isn’t necessarily the same figure Eclipse ask you to pay , it could be more , or less or the same , most ISP add something on to what OR charge , to cover their own costs in billing you 
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does your property have any extension's coming off the main socket?
  • spillage74
    spillage74 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March at 8:52PM
    Options
    Hi Eldi_Dos not it all goes to a the main box. Openreach have been out many times since and not billed me so I am now sat here wondering how many more charges are on the way. I fell it a bit off for the isp waiting all this time to bill me.
    My real question is can the isp wait two years before billing me.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If it is a ongoing issue that your provider has been unable to resolve and has required multiple visits, I would be looking for compensation, not to be billed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback