Money Moral Dilemma: How should my wife deal with sharing meal costs at her new job?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My wife started a new job that involves frequent overnight trips. On the first trip, she went out for a meal with her co-workers, most of whom had three courses and shared several bottles of wine. My wife's not a big eater or drinker, and had a starter, main and one beer, which cost £30. When the bill came, the others wanted to split it equally, £43 each. My wife paid it as she didn't want to come across as 'tight', yet meals like this are likely to be frequent, and at this rate she'll be significantly out of pocket. What would you do - say something, or accept paying more to keep in with new colleagues?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
:o View past Money Moral Dilemmas.

Comments

• horsewithnoname
    horsewithnoname Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I certainly wouldn’t have a problem with someone in a group who had significantly less paying for what they had rather than having an unfair share of the bill. If others take offence at not being subsidised that’s their problem. 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 March at 7:22PM
    Options
    The Company concerned should have clear explicit expenses policy. £43 for an evening meal would be considered excessive. The drinks bill almost certainly not claimable. Even if it was. Would foul of the HMRC. 
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 March at 9:03PM
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    The Company concerned should have clear explicit expenses policy. £43 for an evening meal would be considered excessive. The drinks bill almost certainly not claimable. Even if it was. Would foul of the HMRC. 
    Claiming alcohol or not is an internal company policy matter. HMRC have no opinion one way or the other - except for their own staff where CS policy bans it

Equally on lavish expenses HMRC only care if it "is genuinely attributable to business travel [and not] for example, some sort of reward" and they will not disallow a meal simply "simply because a less expensive alternative is available."

ETA and if it's just being charged to the client who cares what HMRC think
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure