Jet 2 Seating

Options
I wonder if anyone can help please?  Due to check in on line for a holiday in a couple of days, which is the 28 day prior point.  I wonder if anyone has any tips please.  Did not book our seats as last time we did it to get where we wanted that part of it was ok.  But at both ends it was a free for all getting on which rather negated part of the reason for paying for seats.  Do they fill up from the back first i.e. those who check in on line first will be at the back and other later check ins will be further forward.  Or is it better to check in on line early giving us (a couple) a better chance to be seated together.  Thanks for looking.

M99

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you haven’t paid for specific seats and you would prefer to sit together then I’d book as soon as.  
  • MACKEM99
    MACKEM99 Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks comeandgo.  I have looked and there are currently lots of empty rows at the back and as you go forward less and less together.  So you could be right.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MACKEM99 said:
    Thanks comeandgo.  I have looked and there are currently lots of empty rows at the back and as you go forward less and less together.  So you could be right.
    We fly with JET2 a lot ,we prefer them to TUI as jet2 have seats that do not tilt back also they use the leather thinner seats which gives you more leg room ( we enjoy extra leg room ) but never had to pay for it on Jet2 flights.
    Are you going on a flight only or Jet2 holiday? when you check in they will allocate you seat numbers .
    We fly out of Newcaste airport as we do not like travelling to an airport to go travelling on holiday and they all ways allocate seats when you check in ,if you check in on line they will allocate seat numbers then . 
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    We’ve only once been offered separate seats on check in, and still had the option at that point to pay to sit together. I wouldn’t leave it to the last minute to check in though. Not all airlines call passengers forward in batches, particularly on the smaller planes. As you know you’ve got a seat by the time you’re at the departure gate, there’s no point trying to get to the front of the queue.
  • hjghg5
    hjghg5 Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know which direction they fill up from, but we (2 adults) never pre-book seats and pretty much always end up together on Jet2.

On our last trip we booked separately (I could put mine on expenses for work as I was going to a conference, he wanted to come along too so booked the same flight separately) and checked in online at the same time. We ended up 2 rows apart both on seat a on the way out, and a and f on the same row on the way back, so it did look like they were filling in gaps in order.
  • MACKEM99
    Options
    Ganga said:
    MACKEM99 said:
    We fly with JET2 a lot ,we prefer them to TUI as jet2 have seats that do not tilt back also they use the leather thinner seats which gives you more leg room ( we enjoy extra leg room ) but never had to pay for it on Jet2 flights.
    Are you going on a flight only or Jet2 holiday? when you check in they will allocate you seat numbers .
    We fly out of Newcaste airport as we do not like travelling to an airport to go travelling on holiday and they all ways allocate seats when you check in ,if you check in on line they will allocate seat numbers then . 
    Its a Hol with Jet 2.  

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I did three flights last year with three passengers on the booking and did online check in as soon as it opened.  Only on one sector were we not sat together, but we were across the aisle.  Each sector we were sat more towards the rear i.e. after row 17 on the 737-800.

Going out from UK they do call by group and if no airbridge boarding and deboarding can be from both front and rear steps, but it is still very much free for all!
  • MACKEM99
    edited 26 March at 4:29PM
    Options
    When we booked and paid for our seats last time flying out from East Mids and back from Alicante, there was no separation at all both ways.  They made no effort at all to ask people to board by rows.  As we waited on the tarmac at East Mids to go across to the aircraft  I told someone in the queue, who were saying they were in seat around 30, to go the the back steps.  They were going to board at the front as no one had told them otherwise.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MACKEM99 said:
    But at both ends it was a free for all getting on which rather negated part of the reason for paying for seats.
    MACKEM99 said:
    When we booked and paid for our seats last time flying out from East Mids and back from Alicante, there was no separation at all both ways.  They made no effort at all to ask people to board by rows.
    There's no correlation between seat selection and boarding procedures - on many airlines you can pay a surcharge (or acquire membership points, etc) to board ahead of general access, but that's a separate process from prepaying for specific seats, i.e. buying nominated seats doesn't get you to the front of the queue.  Likewise, some airlines will board by row numbers, but again that's independent of seat purchase.

MACKEM99 said:
    As we waited on the tarmac at East Mids to go across to the aircraft  I told someone in the queue, who were saying they were in seat around 30, to go the the back steps.  They were going to board at the front as no one had told them otherwise.
    Perhaps some would appreciate that sort of intervention but it does risk being told where to go yourself!
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March at 12:24AM
    Options
    Jet2 show you your allocated seats before you complete check-in so you can abandon it if you don't like them and try again later. 

- Jet2Holidays booking last year I started check in and the allocated seats weren't together.  Abandoned check in and tried again a few days later and were given different seats that were together
    - Jet2 flight only booking last year seats again not together.  Abandoned check in and tried again numerous times but the allocated seats never changed, despite plenty being available and availability changing as others obviously checked in.  Seemed on that occasion those seats had been allocated and that was that.

YMMV obviously and no idea if there is an actual different over flights/holiday bookings.

MACKEM99
    said:
    As we waited on the tarmac at East Mids to go across to the aircraft  I told someone in the queue, who were saying they were in seat around 30, to go the the back steps.  They were going to board at the front as no one had told them otherwise.
    Perhaps some would appreciate that sort of intervention but it does risk being told where to go yourself!

Made me chuckle.  Usually I keep myself to myself in airports.  That said recently on flight home to the UK from a popular holiday airport, a couple in the boarding queue in front of me were very flustered having just ran across said airport perplexed at how little time they had.  I happened to notice their boarding cards weren't for our flight or even our airline.   Pointed that out to them politely, and after some explanation of flight numbers and the departure screens they figured their flight didn't depart for 90 mins and headed off quite happily to Duty Free and the bar!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback