Change to Smart Meter

Options
My Energy Supplier has sent me the following message:

"Your electricity meter has reached the end of its certification period and needs to be replaced. Book your smart meter install today, and we’ll handle the rest:"

Is this just bunkum to make me agree to having a smart meter?  I've resisted so far and don't really want one having heard some of the horror stories.  I feel now that they are pushing me into it whether I want one or not.   Anybody know if this is a true reason?  Seems funny that it has happened now just after being switched to Octopus.​

Comments

• Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No, it isn't bunkum. Having a smart meter can save you a lot of money by making TOU (time of use) tariffs available.
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    We could really do with a sticky post on this given the regularity with which it's asked.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Please tell us what these "horror stories" are, and we can probably debunk them. Cheers.
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes it is true, all meters have an "expiry date" and need changing when they reach it to ensure they are recording accurately.

I've paid an average of 5.1p per kWh over the last week for my electricity because I have a smart meter that allows me to access cheaper tariffs. That doesn't sound too scary, does it? Definitely no horror story.

Smart meters are for smart people and dumb meters.....aren't   ;)
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your meter will show its certification date, and this link shows its certification period.
  • Mum161111
    Mum161111 Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 26 March at 10:37AM
    Options
    The feature on BBC1 Breakfast TV just now points out the pitfalls when Smart Meters (not the In House Displays) don't  work properly.  The problems, when they occur, don't seem to be sorted quickly.

I am trying to be open-minded but I do have concerns.  As a, minor to some, issue I would want to avoid ever (although it does happen) having my power switched off.  Even if for a short time, it upsets my technology and, for me, as one who is not good technically, it is difficult and time consuming to get things back to normal. I dread power cuts.  I'm not sure how long but I think the power has to be off when smart meters are being fitted.

I think I am a low user but not by choice.  I budget very carefully to avoid debt on my limited income and I'm often far from as warm as I would like to be.  I wrap up well indoors and have just one radiator on for as short a time as I can manage.

I used 9 units of gas (m3) for last month:  gas central heating and gas cooker.  Standing charges account for  much of my gas and electricity bill.

This is a genuine concern:  Being as careful, and strict, as I  am, I don't  think a smart meter would save me much, if anything on my energy bills.and, for me, would be a stressful transition.  The daily standing charges seem to be here to stay.  I am on The Priority  Services Register.  When the time comes, and there is no choice, I accept that I'll have to have gas and electric smart meters.

• Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Mum161111 said:
    The feature on BBC1 Breakfast TV just now points out the pitfalls when Smart Meters (not the In House Displays) don't  work properly.  The problems, when they occur, don't seem to be sorted quickly.
    If a smart meter isnt sending readings you're no worse off than you are at the moment, needing to take and submit readings manually. 3Its only a minority that have problems. The overwhelming liklihood is that yours will work properly and be a great help in your budgeting.
    I'm not sure how long but I think the power has to be off when smart meters are being fitted.
    Ours was off for less than an hour. Since this will be pre-planned you can shutdown your technology and bring it back when power's restored. If you have items you cant or dont dare shut down then you should investigate and get advice. You could be wasting a lot of power. I saved a lot by setting my desktop computer to "hiberate" if unused for a period. That drops its power down to 4W, by switching off at mains it becomes zero. When started back up everything opens where you left off. You could also look at smart switches, like Tapo P110. I have one on my working from home rig. That lets me monitor power use, switch it off remotely, and I added a schedule to switch off at 1800 just in case I forget.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,679 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mum161111 said:
    I'm not sure how long but I think the power has to be off when smart meters are being fitted.
    When my mum had hers done a few years ago, about twenty minutes. Depending on the installer, the physical layout etc. anywhere from fifteen minutes to an hour seem to be normal.
  • bob2302
    bob2302 Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the problem is resetting electrical devices, the duration doesn't matter. 
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just a follow-up question.

Are customers expected to contact suppliers if the meter(s) are well beyond their certification date?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback