Energy prices £250 cheaper a year - my electric only £8.83 cheaper??

Options
Helen_
Helen_ Posts: 32 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
I got an email from octopus claiming energy prices will be £250 cheaper a year however in the attachment it says my electric will only be £8.83 cheaper??

My standing charge is going up to a massive 69.149p from 55.070p.

My unit rate is going down a bit to 22.580p from 27.360p. 

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The headline £250 is based on an average consumption.  If you are a low user then your savings would be less
  • TheElectricCow
    TheElectricCow Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The £250 figure is only an average, so naturally there will be many households where any changes are either above or below that figure based on their usage and location. As those headline figures are often of little use for comparison it's best not to pay them too much attention and ideally work out for yourself any actual changes in cost (or if you're not familiar enough with your usage for that, the supplier estimate from Octopus will be the next best thing).
    Moo…
  • hamski
    hamski Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Massive difference in price for electric standing charges depending on where you live ,whys that?
  • Chris_b2z
    Chris_b2z Posts: 98 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's correct. The message that Ofgem want you to take from this is that you should use more electricity to avoid being penalised.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    And threads like this yet again go to show a good chunk of the population dont understand how the price cap works.
  • NorfolkCanary
    NorfolkCanary Posts: 185 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 March at 4:47PM
    Options
    Use more than average, pay more than average, simples....
    Ah, the education of people in this country, makes you long for the restriction of 'social' media.
  • hamski
    hamski Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But I pay nearly as much standing charge as I do for electricity so it’s use less pay more
  • K_S
    K_S Posts: 6,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 March at 5:17PM
    Options
    Helen_ said:
    I got an email from octopus claiming energy prices will be £250 cheaper a year however in the attachment it says my electric will only be £8.83 cheaper??

@helen_ Based on the numbers you’ve provided, you only use about 1,260 units of electricity a year, which is well below what’s considered to be ‘low usage’ of 1,800 units a year.

Your savings of £60 from the lower unit rate are mostly eaten up by the extra £51 you’ll pay due to the higher standing charge, giving you a net saving of £9 or so.

If you consumed the ‘medium usage’ figure of 2,700 units that OFGEM use, your total electric bill would drop by around £78.

I suspect the £250 figure mentioned in the Octopus blurb refers to a dual-fuel (gas+electricity) bill for a medium usage consumer, hence the difference with what you’re predicted to save.

Martin has been campaigning against high and rising standing charges for a while now and OFGEM has conducted a review on this over the past few months. They will issue a final response soon so hopefully that will result in a more reasonable outcome than the current one.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/11/energy-standing-charges-ofgem-review/

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

PLEASE DO NOT SEND PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

• Helen_
    Helen_ Posts: 32 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    K_S said:
    Helen_ said:

@helen_ Based on the numbers you’ve provided, you only use about 1,260 units of electricity a year, which is well below what’s considered to be ‘low usage’ of 1,800 units a year.

Your savings of £60 from the lower unit rate are mostly eaten up by the extra £51 you’ll pay due to the higher standing charge, giving you a net saving of £9 or so.

If you consumed the ‘medium usage’ figure of 2,700 units that OFGEM use, your total electric bill would drop by around £78.

I suspect the £250 figure mentioned in the Octopus blurb refers to a dual-fuel (gas+electricity) bill for a medium usage consumer, hence the difference with what you’re predicted to save.

Martin has been campaigning against high and rising standing charges for a while now and OFGEM has conducted a review on this over the past few months. They will issue a final response soon so hopefully that will result in a more reasonable outcome than the current one.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/11/energy-standing-charges-ofgem-review/
    Thank you for your helpful reply.

I am very careful how much electric I use for example I don't use a dishwasher or a tumble dryer. I hope Martin's campaign is successful as it seems very unfair that despite being a low user because of the big increase in my standing charge my cost of electric is hardly coming down at all. Paying nearly 70p standing charge a day is ridiculous. How much is everyone elses standing charge increasing too? Mine seems so high. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback