Non Resident to resident.

Options
I have been non resident for many years. I will be in UK from April 4 to August 6, just over 4 months,then I will be back in UK from Jan to March next year, 3 months.
Will I be able to start an ISA on April 5. I have a GIA already, to transfer shares from.
Or will I have to wait until I have over 6 months in the country to open an ISA.
If so, I would star an ISA on the 5th April and then another on the 8th April, or is this illegal.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will I be able to start an ISA on April 5. I have a GIA already, to transfer shares from.
    Once you become resident in the UK for tax purposes you can (with the exception of USA if you retain citizenship - that causes a separate list of issues).  Until then, you cannot.

When will you become resident in the UK for tax purposes?

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • UbonBlue
    UbonBlue Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suppose it will be after I complete 6 months in the UK. Unless I decide when I get to the UK  and then unexpectedly have to return overseas in August for a few months. My tax return at the end of the 24/25 year will show I have stayed for 6 months or more and thus tax resident.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback