Council tax 2024/2025

Options
Richteddy12
Richteddy12 Posts: 2 Newbie
First Post First Anniversary
edited 25 March at 6:00PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Hi I'm baffled, 
I dont understand how Enfield council can now scrap the 100%discount for people who are disabled or unemployed.
Everyone who's of working age has to pay 50%even if you are disabled etc, these benefits are for peoples day to day needs to be able to live a decent life,it shouldn't be to prop up a failing council.
Surely the government should be looking into this this is discrimination on disabled and the  unemployed.
Richard 

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You'll have to take it up with your MP and/or councillors.  This board is for helping people get what they're entitled to, not discussing policy.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/365935/its-about-helping-people-get-their-entitlement-not-about-benefits-policy
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The unemployed aren't a protected category for discrimination as far as I know. Is giving them a 100% discount discrimination against the working (also not protected) as they have to pay for the non-payers? Hard to convince me that only a 50% discount is discrimination if I'm honest. How would it work for a single unemployed person? 50% off, then an extra 25% for single occupancy? That would still be 62.5% discount. Not too bad.

I presume much of the council tax local decisions are at the discretion of the council - the empty homes used to vary from council to council.
    There are a couple of members on here very clued up on council tax - probably be along shortly with more knowledge and advice.

• Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,769 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 March at 12:50AM
    Options
    Each council runs its own council tax support scheme... some are far more generous than others for working age households... 50% is the least generous I've seen so I understand the frustration. I doubt there is any illegality and it is possible if you complain to council they'll blame the diminishing support of central government while central government (or your MP) likely will say take it up with your local council.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 25 March at 4:43AM
    Options
    Many councils are in desperate financial problems and the national council tax benefit scheme was scrapped by Cameron/Clegg for those of working age, being replaced by a scheme of each council's local invention, but with less funding.

Obviously working age people in areas with a higher proportion of older people were hit the worst.

So it's no surprise that this is evolving to look like the Poll Tax, but 50% is the highest I've seen. I wonder which council that is.

I guessed Torbay but checked and they are at 30%
  • gbhxu
    gbhxu Posts: 334 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 25 March at 4:48AM
    Options
    The unemployed aren't a protected category for discrimination as far as I know. Is giving them a 100% discount discrimination against the working (also not protected) as they have to pay for the non-payers? Hard to convince me that only a 50% discount is discrimination if I'm honest. How would it work for a single unemployed person? 50% off, then an extra 25% for single occupancy? That would still be 62.5% discount. Not too bad.

I presume much of the council tax local decisions are at the discretion of the council - the empty homes used to vary from council to council.
    There are a couple of members on here very clued up on council tax - probably be along shortly with more knowledge and advice.

Yes it is

I live in East Lindsey in Lincolnshire

I'm on IR ESA and PIP (Low Care & High Mobility) and still have to pay about 19% of my Council Tax after single occupancy and Council Tax Support have been taken off.

This is £27 a month.

I did query this as I know someone that is in the same situation as me, in a different county and they don't pay anything. ELDC said it depends on the Council's own policy as to how much you pay. 
  • Richteddy12
    Options

Thats fine but how can a disabled person be expected to pay 50% when the only money they get is for day to day needs, the vast majority can't work all the local councils are exploring the sick or their carers. This is no different to thatchers poll tax 
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,769 Forumite
    edited 25 March at 1:19PM
    Options

Thats fine but how can a disabled person be expected to pay 50% when the only money they get is for day to day needs, the vast majority can't work all the local councils are exploring the sick or their carers. This is no different to thatchers poll tax 
    Not as such (just some) disabled people (as many disabled people will not be entitled to council tax support) but low income working age people will  be affected. Maybe it'll come to a point some will have to consider local authority council tax support scheme if they move as clearly there is a lot of variation. I recently moved from an area with up to 92.5% support to 75% support... made a big difference but one we were prepared to pay
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 966 Community Admin
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We've moved this to another board as it's not within the remit of the Benefits board
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 March at 10:05PM
    Options
    gbhxu said:

Yes it is

I live in East Lindsey in Lincolnshire

I'm on IR ESA and PIP (Low Care & High Mobility) and still have to pay about 19% of my Council Tax after single occupancy and Council Tax Support have been taken off.

This is £27 a month.

I did query this as I know someone that is in the same situation as me, in a different county and they don't pay anything. ELDC said it depends on the Council's own policy as to how much you pay. 
    Ours is £277 - so £138 per person

I would be willing to bet that we pay a far higher % of our income than you for what would be essentially the same service.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,556 Forumite
    Options
    I knew about discounts for single occupancy and those on benefits but I did not know it could vary by the council you were under.

Anyone know how it affects newer and older properties, our house was built in the 90's and it was band B.  The new build flats
    up the road are a B for single bedroom and C/D for 2/3 bedroom.

Have the prices ever been adjusted since the 90's or will people buying/renting those flats pay the same as us or possible more?

Must be a nightmare for people already struggling whilst getting a large discount currently and then finding their local council scrap
    the discounts.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback