new tax year, new ISA, new savings account... advice...

Options
wallofbeans
wallofbeans Posts: 1,400 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 26 March at 4:18PM in ISAs & tax-free savings
Hi All,

I'm looking into the best options for my savings and what I should be doing in the next month or so. Currently I have:
  • a Virgin Money 4.11% 1 year fixed ISA (opened in March 23)
  • a Cynergy Bank 4.70% Online ISA Issue 42. 
  • some money in an easy access savings account with Tandem (4.90%). 
I want to keep some in an easy access savings account, but it doesn't have to stay in Tandem. Frustratingly, it doesn't look like any of the easy to use app based savings accounts have decent rates at the moment, so I'll have to switch to a website based account.

I assume the best option for the ISAs is to put both into a single new ISA. And if I open in a couple of weeks, I'll be able to add more to it for the coming tax year as well. 

I saw that Virgin Money have a 5.06% easy access and thought I might even be able to switch the current one to that, and then just move the Cynergy funds over to it (assuming I can, I don't think it's fixed but can't remember!) And I think I'd  then also be able to add an additional 20k if I wanted.

Does that seem like a plan? Any better options? Easier ideas? Things I'm missing?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Catplan
    Catplan Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can combine ISA’s if you wish, however, have you consider maybe transferring one to a longer fix? Two or three year say? 

All depends on your circumstances of course and how likely you may need access to these funds, you could have it all in a flexible ISA.

you don’t mention value but say it was eventually Three years subscription plus interest you’d still be under the 85k protection limit.
  • Motormad20
    Motormad20 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you open a virgin current account you could get a 1 year fixed ISA at 5.25%.
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    Catplan said:
    You can combine ISA’s if you wish, however, have you consider maybe transferring one to a longer fix? Two or three year say? 

All depends on your circumstances of course and how likely you may need access to these funds, you could have it all in a flexible ISA.

you don’t mention value but say it was eventually Three years subscription plus interest you’d still be under the 85k protection limit.
    I need to spend some of the savings within two years. So maybe a year fix, but there don't seem to be much difference between no fix and one year rates.

Oh yes, all together it's less than 85k.
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    If you open a virgin current account you could get a 1 year fixed ISA at 5.25%.
    Interesting! Thank you!
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Catplan said:

I need to spend some of the savings within two years. So maybe a year fix, but there don't seem to be much difference between no fix and one year rates.

Maybe not today, but in 6 months there might be.
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    Catplan said:

So you're suggesting I shouldn't fix, right?
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Catplan said:

So you're suggesting I shouldn't fix, right?
    Perhaps the opposite? If rates go down, a gap will open up between rates for those who’ve fixed, and easy access/variable rates. Obviously none of us can tell the future, but my money’s going in fixed rate accounts…
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback