Problem with Flight Delay Compensation - Norse Atlantic Airways

Options
Hi guys

I've got an ongoing issue with Norse Atlantic Airways. Not sure how to further pursue it without going to a no win no fee firm to try and progress it.

Last summer my wife and kids flew from Gatwick direct to JFK with Norse Atlantic Airways. The flight was eventful to say the least - the plane pretty much took off on time but an hour or so into the journey it turned back and landed back at Gatwick where it was grounded for a few hours whilst the ground crew tried to remedy the issue. Eventually it took off and safely landed in JFK.

The total delay was 5 hours and 18 minutes. I believe a delay of this magnitude for 3 passengers should result in compensation. Am I right or wrong here?

I raised a claim with my travel insurance company, they rejected my claim as the delay had to be 6 hours long. I raised this with Norse Atlantic support via email (they have no phone lines to you can't call them) and they after a few responses one of which saying have gone total radio silence.

In January I tried to reopen communications by using the Revolute Tool as recommended by Martin's Money savers and again after a few email responses (to confirm we have a ticket) it has gone cold. I am thinking of taking legal action via these no win no fee firms.

Really frustrated by this. 

Some points to mention

My wife communicated to me whilst on the plane (after it had turned back and landed back in Gatwick) that staff on board had communicated to passengers that there was a technical fault.

Norse emailed on Wednesday 16th August to say that the flight was delayed due to operational reasons. The email also states our conditions of carriage state we are not responsible for any onward journeys as we operate direct point to point flights only. 

I did try contacting the CAA and this was during my ongoing travel insurance claim and they just fobbed me off saying you need to pursue via your insurance.

Any ideas, it would be good if I could have call with someone at Norse to crack some heads together but I cannot locate a phone number.

Comments

• Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 480 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What sort of compensation are you hoping to get for a 5 hour delay?
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You might be able to claim compensation off the airline for UK261 depending on the root cause of the technical issues and if it was under the airlines control.

This would not be via your travel insurance and needs to be claimed directly from the airline
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,102 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jamjar49 said:

Any ideas, it would be good if I could have call with someone at Norse to crack some heads together but I cannot locate a phone number.

Contact information of the National Enforcement Body for Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004, is in Norway:

Norsk ReiselivsForum Transportklagenemnda (Dispute Resolution Board)
    Øvre Slottsgate 18-20
    NO 0157 OSLO

Tel.: + 47 22 54 60 00

E-Mail: post@reiselivsforum.no

Website and online complaint form: www.reiselivsforum.no (Norwegian and English)
  • jamjar49
    jamjar49 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    What sort of compensation are you hoping to get for a 5 hour delay?
    I don't know but for a long haul flight I'd expect something. The bigger frustration is the lack of communication from the airline they have not elaborated on what they operational issue was.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,106 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 March at 4:50PM
    Options
    As above you should be entitled to EC261 compensation (as adopted into UK Law, sometimes referred to as "UK261" although that's not the official name of the legislation). More details here https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/resolving-travel-problems/delays-and-cancellations/delays/

Note that this compensation is only applicable if the delay is within control of the airline. Technical or operational reasons are usually deemed to be within control of the airline.

Go back to Norse and make it clear you wish to claim EC261 compensation as is your right. From there it will depend on their response, if they refuse you can complain to the UK CAA although I practice they're quite toothless, it would be easier to start small claims court action. 

Hoenir said:
    jamjar49 said:

Contact information of the National Enforcement Body for Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004, is in Norway:

Norsk ReiselivsForum Transportklagenemnda (Dispute Resolution Board)
    Øvre Slottsgate 18-20
    NO 0157 OSLO

Tel.: + 47 22 54 60 00

E-Mail: post@reiselivsforum.no

Website and online complaint form: www.reiselivsforum.no (Norwegian and English)
    I believe that Norse flights from Gatwick are operated by the UK subsidiary Norse Atlantic Airlines UK Ltd who are UK based and have a UK operator certificate. Therefore the UK CAA are the relevant National Enforcement Body. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback