Sharesave help

Options
Hi all, I need some advice about my company sharesave scheme. It matured a while ago and I took the option to have the shares and they are currently sat there with the scheme provider. I could do with getting the cash out but not sure how to go about it without getting clobbered for capital gains tax. Any thoughts would really be appreciated.
Thanks, Graham 

Comments

• MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 March at 7:13AM
    Options
    How long was “a while ago”? Was it more than 90 days? What is the quantity and value of the shares and how much was the price paid?

Up to 90 days you can transfer some or all into an ISA before selling subject to the provider supporting this and allowances. After that will depend on your gain on sale amount.
  • CamperMan_3
    CamperMan_3 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me. Yes more than 90 days, life has been really difficult recently so was a lower priority and I think when there was a choice of cash or the shares I went with the shares thinking the difference would incur capital gains tax if I went with the cash, also thinking I could move the shares later to my own ISA without there being a problem. I now think I might I be wrong and have made a mistake not sorting it sooner. 
    I paid in £12000 over five years and the shares are currently worth £27000 which is great given our circumstances, but not if I loose a chunk. Any thoughts?
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have an unrealised gain of £15000. The CGT allowance this year is £6000 reducing next year to £3000. If you can gift transfer some of your shares to your spouse, you can make use of his/her allowance.

So you sell some shares to make a £6000 gain before 6th April, your wife does the same. You then sell the remaining shares after 6th April using next year's allowance. 

You will have to move quickly - especially if you're not married yet!
  • CamperMan_3
    Options
    Thanks again.
    Any thoughts on how to transfer to my wife, i.e. what’s the process for gifting?
  • CamperMan_3
    Options
    So I think you’re saying I icould I sell shares to take the original £12K out plus sell some more to cover the £6K without there being a CGT issue anyway, is that correct?
  • Vortigern
    edited 22 March at 10:23PM
    Options
    Thanks again.
    Any thoughts on how to transfer to my wife, i.e. what’s the process for gifting?
    If you have a share certificate, you complete a stock transfer form and complete the boxes on the back to indicate a transfer for nil consideration to spouse. Send the form and the share certificate(s) to the registrar. Registrar will return new certificates to you and your wife.
    If the shares are in a nominee account, you'd have to contact the nominee/broker.
    In either case you'll be lucky to complete the process by the tax year end.
    A safer strategy would be to take your £6000 gain this year, then divide the remaining shares with your wife and each take £3000 gains next tax year.
  • Vortigern
    Options
    So I think you’re saying I icould I sell shares to take the original £12K out plus sell some more to cover the £6K without there being a CGT issue anyway, is that correct?

No. You need to work out the average cost per share (divide acquistion cost £12000 by number of shares held)
    Then work out the gain per share by subtracting the average cost per share from the current selling price per share.
    Divide 6000 by the gain per share to find the number of shares to sell within the £6000 allowance.
    Roughly: If selling £27000 worth of shares produces a gain of £15000
    Selling £27000/15000 will produce £1 of gain
    £27000/15000*6000 = £10800
    So sell £10800 of shares to realise a £6000 gain
    You'll need to do the calculation again based on the price you achieve for your sale.

For the avoidance of any doubt, all your shares are considered equal (fungible). It doesn't matter which you bought first. There is no benefit in selling the most recently acquired shares because "they've made less gain than the older ones".  It doesn't work that way.

• CamperMan_3
    Options
    Thanks for your help with this btw, I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond. Ok, so I saved £12K at an offer price of £14 so ended up with 860ish shares. Just checking the price it’s £34 so worth £29K which is great, but not if I can’t get it out without getting clobbered for tax. So transferring to the wife aside what’s do I need to do to get the max out now and how much could that be?
  • Vortigern
    Options
    Thanks for your help with this btw, I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond. Ok, so I saved £12K at an offer price of £14 so ended up with 860ish shares. Just checking the price it’s £34 so worth £29K which is great, but not if I can’t get it out without getting clobbered for tax. So transferring to the wife aside what’s do I need to do to get the max out now and how much could that be?
    Using your revised ball-park figures: 
    Cost = £12000 
    Present Value = £29000
    Gain = £17000
    CGT allowance = £6000
    £29000/17000*6000 = £10235
    So you need to sell £10235 worth of shares to realise a gain of £6000

If all your shares were bought at £14 each and you sell at £34 you're making a gain of £20 per share
    6000/20 = 300 so selling 300 shares would realise a gain of £6000

So to get the most out without paying CGT (assuming you've no other chargeable gains) you need to sell approx 300 shares before 6th April and you'll get approx £10200 minus the broker's selling fee.

• CamperMan_3
    Options
    brilliant, that really helps, so what happens/do I do with the remaining 560 shares?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback