New job asking for references

Options
I am currently 3 months into my new job and they are starting to want references from my previous job. However i got let go due to gross missconduct. Shall i tell my manger about why i left my previous job in more detail or do i procide my previous job as a reference, and if i do this will they outline why they left or will they just state the dates i worked there? If i dont provide references i wont pass my probation what shall i do

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'm surprised they are asking for references after 3 months.  What did you tell the new employer was your reason for leaving the previous employment?
    With luck the previous employer will simply state your start and end dates of employment.  If you lied to your new employer you could be out of work again.
    In the short term say nothing would be my advice, although if the new employer has been asking for references and the former employer is not responding it may well be getting alarm bells ringing anyway.
  • Laurelii
    Laurelii Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    I'm surprised they are asking for references after 3 months.  What did you tell the new employer was your reason for leaving the previous employment?
    With luck the previous employer will simply state your start and end dates of employment.  If you lied to your new employer you could be out of work again.
    In the short term say nothing would be my advice, although if the new employer has been asking for references and the former employer is not responding it may well be getting alarm bells ringing anyway.
    Let go due to call avoidence. My new role is call centre however havent been doing that ! I told i left previous role due to wanting more income. I get along really well with my current manager so should i not say anything 
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,696 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Laurelii said:
    TELLIT01 said:
    Let go due to call avoidence. My new role is call centre however havent been doing that ! I told i left previous role due to wanting more income. I get along really well with my current manager so should i not say anything 
    So highly unlikely you'd be kept on if your previous employer is asked why you left...but as you've said you worked for them and were leaving to get a higher salary, you've not got much choice but to provide contact info for a reference, and hope they aren't asked for anything other than confirmation of dates of employment.

It's very odd that you are only now being asked to provide referee details, which suggests you may not be getting on quite as well as you believe with your current manager - is that possible?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Laurelii
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Laurelii said:
    TELLIT01 said:
    So highly unlikely you'd be kept on if your previous employer is asked why you left...but as you've said you worked for them and were leaving to get a higher salary, you've not got much choice but to provide contact info for a reference, and hope they aren't asked for anything other than confirmation of dates of employment.

It's very odd that you are only now being asked to provide referee details, which suggests you may not be getting on quite as well as you believe with your current manager - is that possible?
    They are gathering references from all the team / those who didnt provide one. Would i be able to ask my other jobs for a reference or does it have to be the one i was in before starting this role
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,696 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Laurelii said:
    Marcon said:
    Laurelii said:
    TELLIT01 said:

They are gathering references from all the team / those who didnt provide one. Would i be able to ask my other jobs for a reference or does it have to be the one i was in before starting this role
    It'll look very odd if you don't give your previous employer, so your current employer is likely to smell a rat.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Laurelii
    Options
    In most circumstances are they just asked for confirmation of dates employed and job title or would they ask more info ? 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,768 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 March at 8:03PM
    Options
    Laurelii said:
    In most circumstances are they just asked for confirmation of dates employed and job title or would they ask more info ? 
    That really is down to the employer. I’ve never been given just a basic reference it’s always been far more detailed, but I work in social care and have to have an enhanced.  DBS. And my references have always included questions that would give an answer of gross misconduct if that it happened. 

Your line of work may be different. What sort of reference did your previous employer ask for?

However well you get on with your current manager, it will probably be HR making the decisions and your manager may not have any discretion if they find out why you did leave your previous job.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Laurelii
    Options
    Ive heard  It does vary on employer however the basic reference states they can only give employment start and end dates and job title. They cant or shouldn't include anythung that could risk your chances of not hetting another job. For example if they did include it and because of their references your a year/ 2 without a job you could sue is this correct
  • Laurelii
    Options
    What if i fake the reference from the previous employer?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,768 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, it’s not. A reference has to be accurate. A statement that you were dismissed for gross misconduct is accurate and lawful to include.

Some companies only give the basic references to avoid having to think about that, but the perception that people can’t give “bad “references is incorrect as long as they are factual and correct. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback