Getting compensation

Options
A group of 8 of us booked a holiday with EasyJet to Rome to watch the rugby. EasyJet messed up and gave us boarding cards for a flight which didn’t exist , even though there was a flight on the same date and time as our boarding cards.
we were denied access to the flight and had to stay an extra night . We’ve pursued Easyjey for EC261 , they initially said no but I’m not prepared to let it go. EasyJet have never really stated responsibility although at the airport when we were denied boarding they rearranged flights for us for the next day.
we all have travel insurance and the trip was paid for on my credit card but we want EC261 compensation from EasyJet.
just advice please . Do we just keep plugging away with EasyJet and being passed from pillar to post or should forget that and pursue our insurance. Is small claims court likely to be any use 

Any advice please? 

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would say small claims.
    I had an issue with easyjet where I booked an extra "comfort" seat for a disbility.
    That seat was lost when we had to change planes.
    The steward offered compensation authorised by the liason officer via pilot and I had a signed offer.
    Easyjet tried to wiggle out of it and I got success by writing a letter before action.

Don't waste your time go straight to LBA.
    If one person booked the 8 then they can probably do it.
    If you all booked individually then you might have to claim individually.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A group of 8 of us booked a holiday with EasyJet to Rome to watch the rugby.
    Was this a package holiday booking with EasyJet Holidays, or just flights?

we were denied access to the flight and had to stay an extra night . We’ve pursued Easyjey for EC261 , they initially said no but I’m not prepared to let it go. EasyJet have never really stated responsibility although at the airport when we were denied boarding they rearranged flights for us for the next day.
    we all have travel insurance and the trip was paid for on my credit card but we want EC261 compensation from EasyJet.
    just advice please . Do we just keep plugging away with EasyJet and being passed from pillar to post or should forget that and pursue our insurance. Is small claims court likely to be any use 

Any advice please? 
    You should keep pursuing EasyJet - unlike claims where there's scope for debate about extraordinary circumstances, etc, they are clearly on the hook to pay compensation when denying boarding, as per article 4 of the regulations, echoed in their own policy document:

Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 February 2004 establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights, and repealing Regulation (EEC) No 295/91 (Text with EEA relevance) (legislation.gov.uk)

Notice of your rights in case of flight delays, cancellations and denied boarding | easyJet

If EasyJet reject the claim with a final response, you can escalate to Aviation ADR for an independent arbitration at no cost (details within that rights document), although small claims does also remain an option.
  • greyowlgolf
    greyowlgolf Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks , it was a holiday ,flights and hotel. We know the regs , know what we’re entitled to . EasyJet are not being helpful at all and I’m getting grumpy , so I feel like cutting across them to get a solution quicker. 

Aviation ADR looks like a good suggestion.so thanks whoever that was.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks , it was a holiday ,flights and hotel. We know the regs , know what we’re entitled to .
    If it was booked as a package then you may also have rights against the package provider under the Package Travel Regulations, as well as the airline under UK/EC 261, but hopefully you know that already....

EasyJet are not being helpful at all and I’m getting grumpy , so I feel like cutting across them to get a solution quicker.
    As above, you need to give them sufficient chance to resolve it, hence the recommendation to push for their final response, which then opens up escalation options - Aviation ADR requires this, and it might prejudice your prospects in court if you failed to take all reasonable measures first.  However, you don't need to wait indefinitely, so can escalate if unresolved within eight weeks.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,943 Forumite
    Options
    A group of 8 of us booked a holiday with EasyJet to Rome to watch the rugby. EasyJet messed up and gave us boarding cards for a flight which didn’t exist , even though there was a flight on the same date and time as our boarding cards.

Any advice please? 
    Can you explain this a little more?
  • greyowlgolf
    First Post
    Options
    What more do you need explaining .happy to do so 
  • Westin
    Options
    What more do you need explaining .happy to do so 
    What flight number/date was on your boarding passes and what flight number was the flight you saw operating that same day/time?

It would be very unusual for an airline or airport to give you boarding passes printed with an incorrect flight number. These would be hard to produce.
  • greyowlgolf
    First Post
    Options
    Exactly so . We had boarding cards for flight 6507 which didn’t e use that day . That number flight did take off at 11.40 on different days later in the week but not on Sunday 4th. The flight which did take off was 6572.
    i was actually checked in on 6507 and my bag was taken in u til the later on the next desk realised it was a “bad”flight number. I still have the luggage sticker.
    as you say very difficult for them to issue passes for the wrong flight but they managed 
  • greyowlgolf
    First Post
    Options
    I think that at some point 6507 did exist on the date but was cancelled and they didn’t tidy up the loose bits , like our passes. With one phone call they immediately rearranged flights for us for the next day . At that point they clearly accepted responsibility , can’t get then to do it now. We all need EJ to admit responsibility so we can get the EC261 money from them and them claim on insurance for the extra cost 
    should be pretty clear but it hasn’t been 
  • Westin
    edited 20 March at 11:25AM
    Options
    EZY 6507 is a flight number used for the return FCO LGW sector.  Was it the return flight to the UK that you missed?

Is this February or March?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure