We buy any car valuations

Options
I got an on line valuation for a 13 year old car. I told them it had 1 key no service history and short MOT. It said I had 4 days for the guaranteed valuation so took my car up a couple of days later. The guy there looked the car over, checking for rust on fibreglass amd aluminium panels, and then told me the valuation was about 200 quid less because there was only one key.  I argued the point but he said his company rules said ...... I had to sell for reasons I had explained to him so agreed the sale but asked for the complaints procedure. He didn't give this to me. Needless to say I wasn't dancing like a moron outside his little hut. WBAC got in touch anyway to see how highly I would recommend them. I gave a zero and explained why. They got back to me and said it was true that I had notified them there was only one key but the representative had told them the car was damaged and that is why he reduced the valuation.  The guy had shown me the report on a tablet that said no damage. It seems WBAC take advantage of people most likely in difficult circumstances.  No one in their right mind would go to them if they had a choice and it seems WBAC exploit this. 
Any one else had an experience like this?

Comments

• Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You didn't have to sell it to them once they had given you the offer. Several other similar buying schemes as well as a load of places to advertise it privately.

It sounds like you didn't have any other options when stood outside their hut but that's hardly their fault. Their offer would have been on a take it or leave it basis.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Plenty of experience with them but never sold to them for the same reasons as you.
    I decided not to sell, as did you
    Known rip off company, you sold to them.
    Pointless complaining about it now.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They are well known for it.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, they always knock you down for some reason.  We are going in today to WBAC and having already sold a car to them a few years ago know the drill, just want to get rid of the vehicle.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March at 9:45AM
    Options
    No one in their right mind would go to them if they had a choice and it seems WBAC exploit this.
    To parrot the above, paying the likes of Mufasa and Phillip Schofield costs money, as does maintaining a nationwide network of outlets, making and paying quick offers, covering the risk that people will try to submit vehicles with flaws that their inspection does not pick up and on top of all of that emembering that WBAC is not a charity so will want to make a margin when sending the vehicles to auction (where the dealership buying would expect to re-sell the vehicle at retail price and make a margin).

It's common sense that they can't offer you what you might be able to sell it for elsewhere (they wouldn't stay in business very long if they did).

From what I understand, you used them because you needed the money yesterday - which you can expect to pay a premium for. But we all have a choice.
    Know what you don't
  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You can lead a horse to water.......
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March at 9:46AM
    Options
    Exodi said:
    No one in their right mind would go to them if they had a choice and it seems WBAC exploit this.
    To parrot the above, paying the likes of Mufasa and Phillip Schofield costs money, as does maintaining a nationwide network of outlets, making and paying quick offers, covering the risk that people will try to submit vehicles with flaws that their inspection does not pick up and on top of all of that and remembering that WBAC is not a charity so will want to make a margin when sending the vehicles to auction (where the dealership buying would expect to re-sell the vehicle at retail price and make a margin).

It's common sense that they can't offer you what you might be able to sell it for elsewhere (they wouldn't stay in business very long if they did).

From what I understand, you used them because you needed the money yesterday - which you can expect to pay a premium for. But we all have a choice.
    But theres a difference between a fair business and a ripoff.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    comeandgo said:
    Yes, they always knock you down for some reason.  We are going in today to WBAC and having already sold a car to them a few years ago know the drill, just want to get rid of the vehicle.
    Exactly this. Get quotes from a few companies and always take into account that you're likely to be knocked down when you get there. £200 doesn't sound too bad to be honest, it sounds like the kind of car few people would touch.
  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    They are as a company in business to make a profit and to do so act as the middleman.  If you decide to sell to them then you are saving yourself a lot of hassle and uncertainty, that has some value.  To call them a rip off is a tad OTT, especially when you have many avenues available to you.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March at 11:09AM
    Options
    Exodi said:
    To parrot the above, paying the likes of Mufasa and Phillip Schofield costs money, as does maintaining a nationwide network of outlets, making and paying quick offers, covering the risk that people will try to submit vehicles with flaws that their inspection does not pick up and on top of all of that and remembering that WBAC is not a charity so will want to make a margin when sending the vehicles to auction (where the dealership buying would expect to re-sell the vehicle at retail price and make a margin).

I think your emotion has guided this response.

Charging a premium for convenience isn't a ripoff, milk costs more from the newsagents round the corner, takeaways cost more than shopping, etc. If you don't need convenience then go elsewhere, no-one is forced to use WBAC.

If everyone felt WBAC was such an unfair business or a blatant rip-off, I'd suggest it should not have a 4.8/5 rating across 230,543 reviews: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.webuyanycar.com

Obviously on a money saving forum, a company that charges more for convenience isn't likely to be popular.
    Know what you don't
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure