ISA Query

Options
Hi. I currently have £20,645.67 in my Virgin cash ISA. It is saying in a window on my account page that I have  £20,000 of my allowance to use by 5th April? I thought 20K was the max and that the £645.67 over this would be taxable at my personal tax allowance rate if my total savings were over £1000? Anything else I need to point out?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi. I currently have £20,645.67 in my Virgin cash ISA. It is saying in a window on my account page that I have  £20,000 of my allowance to use by 5th April? I thought 20K was the max and that the £645.67 over this would be taxable at my personal tax allowance rate if my total savings were over £1000? Anything else I need to point out?
    The annual ISA contribution allowance is £20K but it isn't a cap on balances, which remain entirely tax-free.
  • PeterJames66
    PeterJames66 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Ok. I see now. Thanks
  • PeterJames66
    First Post
    Options
    Sorry. I have another question. Could I leave this as is, and use my allowance to open another Cash ISA with a different provider? Or can I only have one ISA savings account. Apologies for the thickie question  :/  
  • eskbanker
    Options
    Sorry. I have another question. Could I leave this as is, and use my allowance to open another Cash ISA with a different provider? Or can I only have one ISA savings account. Apologies for the thickie question  :/  
    If your current ISA only has money from a previous tax year then you're free to pay new money into a different one if you wish.

The current rule is that you can only pay new money into one cash ISA in any tax year, but this rule is abolished from 6 April....
  • PeterJames66
    First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    If your current ISA only has money from a previous tax year then you're free to pay new money into a different one if you wish.

The current rule is that you can only pay new money into one cash ISA in any tax year, but this rule is abolished from 6 April....
    Great. Cheers
  • PeterJames66
    First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:

Great. Cheers
    What happens if I contribute over 20k. What I mean is. Within the tax year, if I have an easy access cash ISA with 20k in it and I withdraw 5k. Can I only put 5k back in? What would happen if I put in 6k? Would the 1k over the allowance be rejected ?
  • eskbanker
    Options
    eskbanker said:

Great. Cheers
    What happens if I contribute over 20k. What I mean is. Within the tax year, if I have an easy access cash ISA with 20k in it and I withdraw 5k. Can I only put 5k back in? What would happen if I put in 6k? Would the 1k over the allowance be rejected ?
    If you pay £20K of new money into an ISA and then withdraw £5K, then whether or not you can pay any back in depends on whether or not the ISA is flexible.  If it isn't then you have no remaining allowance so can't pay anything back in, but if it is flexible then you can pay all £5K back in - in either case, your provider will probably prevent any attempt to break the rules, by tracking your remaining allowance and ensuring that it isn't breached.
  • PeterJames66
    First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    eskbanker said:

Great. Cheers
    If you pay £20K of new money into an ISA and then withdraw £5K, then whether or not you can pay any back in depends on whether or not the ISA is flexible.  If it isn't then you have no remaining allowance so can't pay anything back in, but if it is flexible then you can pay all £5K back in - in either case, your provider will probably prevent any attempt to break the rules, by tracking your remaining allowance and ensuring that it isn't breached.
    Perfect. Thanks!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure